HATTON ESTATE, S TERRACE WALL WITH PAVILIONS AND BATH-HOUSE (Ref:27334)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1287 6879.
Late 18th century. Rubble built battered wall with curved bath-house projection at centre and square pavilions.
PAVILIONS: 2-stage, square-plan, ogee-roofed classical garden pavilions. Rusticated ashlar at ground level, rubble with harl-pointing at upper level, ashlar dressings, impost and dividing cornices, raised quoins, eaves band and cornice, channelled margins. Entrance to 1st floor from terrace at N; entrance to lower floor from outside to S.
W PAVILION: E ELEVATION: large round arch opening at centre, fluted console keystone, projecting impost cornice to right and left, recessed entrance proper within. Tripartite entrance, door at centre flanked by 2 windows (now blinded); large oculus in tympanum. Projecting, moulded string course; window at centre at 1st floor. Blocked window at ground and 1st floor of S return. W elevation inaccessible but apparently similar arrangement to E elevation.
N ELEVATION: door at ground, rusticated architrave; interior wooden roof; 12-pane sash and case in S wall; fireplace in W wall.
E PAVILION: similar arrangement to W pavilion but round- arch; console keystone. Ruinous forestair against S wall leading to upper garden, supported by arch buttress on E side. Windows at 1st floor level; replacement windows; door at centre of N elevation, rusticated architrave.
French casement windows. Slate ogival roof; finials broken off.
BATH HOUSE: battered, semi-circular, 2-stage projecting from centre of terrace wall; rubble with ashlar dressings. Door at centre of S front set within battered opening; window to right and left also within heavily splayed surrounds; niche above each opening.
INTERIOR: smooth render; segmental-vaulted; stone bench lining each wall; niche above. Ashlar round bath under rusticated arch at N end, 10 ft in diameter and 4 ft deep; no fittings remain.
Hatton House was built in the late 17th century by Charles Maitland, subsequently Earl of Lauderdale. The house was the seat of the Lauderdales from 1682-1792. In 1870 the estate was acquired by the Earl of Morton who passed it to his son Lord Aberdour. In more recent times the house belonged to William Whitelaw grandfather of the former MP. The house was burnt in 1952 and demolished in 1955 and the terrace wall, bath house and pavilions along with the garden house and S gates are the only remains of Hatton House. The garden house and S gates are listed separately. In the photographs in JR Findlay's book (1875) the pavilions are unroofed but he does record that in the 1870s repairs and restorations were undertaken by Robert Anderson architect.
C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p247-248. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p249. J Tweedie & C Jones OUR DISTRICT (1975) p76-78. J R Findlay HATTON HOUSE (1875). 'Ding it Doon' Herbert Fenwick. COUNTRY LIFE Sept 16th 1911 Vol XXX No 767 pp408. NMRS Newspaper cuttings ML/3104; Small's CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.