ST JOHN'S ROAD AND 1 KAIMES ROAD, ST ANNE'S PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, POSTBOX, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND STREET LIGHT (Ref:27297)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2055 7284.
P McGregor Chalmers, 1911-13. Later additions of hall and various rooms at rear. 2-stage, 7-bay near-rectangular plan Italian Romanesque church. Central nave-gable flanked by lean-to side-aisles forming gabled side-chapels at E; semi-circular 5-sided apse surmounted by semi-dome at E; rectangular-plan gabled hall adjoining at SE. Hammer-dressed coursed pink sandstone; polished ashlar dressings. Base course; vertical pilaster divisions at ground; narrow arched openings; dentiled cornice; stepped frieze at gable heads; cruciform finials. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps up to advanced entrance porch at left; 2-leaf timber panelled door; carved architrave, semi-circular tympanum and hoodmould supported by columns with carved capitals. 3 single windows to side aisle. Single storey re-entrant angle porch; timber door. 3 single windows to side-chapel. 7 sets of paired clerestory windows to nave. E ELEVATION: 5 bay apse; moulded cill courses; blind tripartite arcade. Flanking chapels comprise centrally placed pair of windows. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer right. W ELEVATION: 3 windows to nave; cill course. Single windows to flanking side aisles. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin to outer left. N ELEVATION: as for S elevation, except no entrance porches. Church hall and subsidiary rooms adjoin.CHURCH HALL AND SUBSIDIARY ROOMS: hall to rear of church completed 1930, Guild Room doubled in size 1932 by T Bowhill Gibson. Both in similar style and material to main church.Heavy leaded windows; stained glass; skylights. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews; skewputts. INTERIOR: continuously arcaded, with a pair of clerestory windows over each arch, supported by a series of square piers and columns. Richly carved column capitals, each of four symbols expressing a theme - Christian Life/Christ/The Children of the Bible/Four Parables/The Word Prophesised and Preached/ Practical Religion/The Trinity/The Church. Domed ceiling of vestibule rests on four carved corbel stones symbolic of Praise - Viol, Harp, Organ and Pipe. 13 stained glass windows of heavy leadwork by Gordon Webster (3 by his father); porch windows by William Wilson 1947. Chancel floor of draughtboard pattern marble from Greece and Iona; timber pulpit and pews. BOUNDARY WALLS, POSTBOX, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND STREET LIGHT: coped, rubble sandstone wall containing post box at S; square-plan gatepiers with pitched caps; cast iron gates, and railings; black scrolled iron lantern street-light to W of church.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such (C of S). In McGregor Chalmers' original design, a tall Campanile tower was intended over the main entrance, but the 1914-18 war intervened and the tower remains unbuilt. Although incomplete, the building is a fine example of McGregor Chalmers' scholarly revivalist work, abounding in high quality materials and craftsmanship.
THE BUILDER 03/02/1911, p151; City Archives, Dean of Guild Records, 3/1912; Appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1914; WG Dey ST ANNE'S CORSTORPHINE (1966); W G Dey CORSTORPHINE: A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF A MIDLOTHIAN VILLAGE (1990) p66; A S Cowper HISTORIC CORSTORPHINE AND ROUNDABOUT Vol 4 (1991) p19-20; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1991) p525; C McKean EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p172; NMRS photographic archives (ED 1029/A45300/po).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.