90-102(EVEN NOS) INCHVIEW TERRACE, PORTOBELLO ROAD, FORMER WM RAMSAY TECHNICAL INSTITUTE WITH GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS (Ref:27288)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/08/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2988 7437.
J and J Hall, dated 1906. 3-storey and basement, Arts and Crafts technical institute, with single storey and basement bays to W side. Re-inforced concrete framed to E P Wells' system. Red brick; cream sandstone ashlar dressings and red granite dressings, rusticate quoins, cill and coping, brick dies. Sited on falling ground. Segmentally-arched windows and stone mullioned semi-circular windows. Lesser doors and service/machinery doors boarded.
N ELEVATION: 9 symmetrical bays, centre 3 advanced with doorways in bays flanking centre. Steps over-sailing basement recess to doors, each in moulded ashlar panel, part roll-moulded surround and incised scroll detail above; billeted lintel and blocked fanlight; small windows flanking; panelled 2-leaf doors. Bipartite at centre and to 1st floor, semi-circular windows at 2nd; large windows flanking centre at 1st and 2nd floor. 3 outer bays each side with bipartites to each bay at principal and 1st floor, semi-circular windows at 2nd. Bipartites to basement bays. Gilded "Ramsay Institute" sign.
S ELEVATION: 9-bay. Rectangular, balustraded stair block projecting at centre with door at basement, flanked by smaller door and tripartite windows to each floor above. Large round-arched machinery door to outer left; regular bipartites in remaining bays and at principal and 1st floors to each bay. Semi-circular windows at 2nd floor, that to outer left with door breaking centre, now blocked.
SIDE BLOCK: balustraded single storey and basement block projecting to W, to left of W elevation. 2 bipartites to N, 2 windows to W, and large round-arched service door to S; boarded door. Basement windows to N and W.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Set-off, coped brick stalk adjoined to right of centre. Metal scale platt forestair fire escape (section missing), windows altered to door as appropriate.
E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Large service ramp to machinery doors at principal floor level; bipartites to basement, principal and 1st floors of flanking bays, semi-circular windows at 2nd floor, with doors inserted by metal forestair fire escape (as above).
Square-pane glazing patterns to metal windows with pivotal sections. Flat ruberoid roof behind cast-concrete balustrade. Brick water-tank on roof, to W. Original gutterheads retained. Decorative square ventilation bricks at intervals. Decorative cast-iron lamp brackets to angles.
INTERIOR: re-inforced concrete structure to E P Wells? system of square pillars, main and secondary beams of E P Wells? twin bar type.
GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: 3 pairs of brick piers, 1 pair with rusticated ashlar quoins and corniced granite caps. Cast- and wrought-iron gates and railings, 1 pair of gates with decoratively wrought detail. Railings set on coped course.
Of national significance as one of the few works by E P Wells, the first British holder of re-inforced concrete patent. This is one of the first half-dozen re-inforced concrete multi-storey buildings in Scotland, the others being to the French Hennebique system. The contractors were Stuart's Granolithic Co Ltd. Originally a chocolate factory for Messrs Schultz and Co, converted to the Ramsay Technical Institute in 1922 and to housing, 1995. The numbering of the building will be altered once the conversion has been completed, 1995.
Patricia Cusack CONSTRUCTION HISTORY 3 (1987), "Agents of change. Hennebique, Mouchel and Ferro-concrete in Britain, 1897-1908", p62. CONCRETE AND CONSTRUCTIONAL ENGINEERING 2 No 6 (Jan. 1908), pp459-466. "A Re-inforced concrete factory in Portobello, Scotland". Borders Regional Archive D 30/2/2/30.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.