28 LAURISTON STREET, SACRED HEART CHURCH (ROMAN CATHOLIC), WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS. (Ref:27266)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NT 2506 7311.
Father Richard Vaughan, 1860, with some later alterations. Broad pedimented 3-bay classical facade (cross finial at apex), set back from the street. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Base course; cornices between ground and upper levels and below pediment. Round-arched door and window openings with key- and impost-blocks. Entrance in advanced centre bay; 2-leaf timber storm door (glazed 2-leaf timber inner door) with fanlight above, flanked by Roman Doric columns; broken segmental pediment containing shield with gilded sunburst emblazoned IHS above ribbon inscribed 'AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM'; outer portions of bay channelled at ground level, and containing tall narrow round-headed windows in unmoulded openings (lower part blocked); large round-arched window above door flanked by coupled Doric pilasters. 2-leaf timber-panelled doors with fanlights above in outer bays; round-arched windows above; channelled pilaster strips to outer edges of bays at ground level, Doric pilasters above; recessed outermost portions of bays polished ashlar.
INTERIOR: glazed (small leaded panes with stained glass) screen with glazed double doors between vestibule and church; coloured panels above doors; arched entrance to small frescoed space off to left. Simple rectangular wagon-vaulted aisless nave, lined with Ionic pilasters (plaster swags in entablature) and lit by 4 domed lanterns. Gilt-framed painted roundels between alternate ribs in roof. 14 large paintings on canvas between pilasters in nave (see Notes). Apsidal chancel (by Archibald Macpherson, 1884) and flanking chapels (possibly by S Henbest Capper, 1895). Rear gallery with organ above glazed screen to rear.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: coursed stone coped boundary wall with spear-headed cast-iron railings; pyramidally-capped ashlar gatepiers; cast-iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building, in use as such, run by the Jesuit order. Designed as a temporary church, with the intention that it should later become the church hall, and on a tight budget (not to exceed ?5,000). Foundation stone laid 31st July (Feast of St Ignatius) 1859. Paintings in the nave, 'Stations of the Cross' by the Bavarian artist Peter Rauth, commissioned in 1870, currently being restored (1999). Marble pulpit by Henbest Capper, 1895.
INNES REVIEW PF Anson 'Catholic Church Building in Scotland' p135. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p256. Easton (ed) BY THE THREE GREAT ROADS (1988) p116. EVENING NEWS 14th December 1999.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.