7 RESTALRIG ROAD SOUTH, RESTALRIG PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, INCLUDING ST TRIDUANA'S AISLE, GRAVEYARD, GATEHOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:27250)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2833 7448.
1487, rebuilt 1836 William Burn. 4-bay, rectangular plan Gothic church. Rubble stone, ashlar dressings, walls off-set with coping below cills. W porch 1884. Vestry 1962. St Triduana's Aisle before 1477, rebuilt 1907 Dr Thomas Ross, single storey, hexagonal, squared and coursed sandstone, clasping buttresses.
CHURCH: N ELEVATION: vestry advanced, single storey, 4-bay, symmetrical, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings; pointed arch windows, battered cills, chamfered reveals, buttresses, flat roof obscuring cills of 3 bays to right of nave, blocking course; return to left with round-arched doorway, chamfered surround. Nave, pointed arch 2-light windows, cusped tracery set in splayed margins and battered cills. Corner buttress surmounted by pinnacles.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay with buttresses in squared sandstone between bays reaching to eaves. St Triduana's Aisle joined to nave at SW (see below).
E ELEVATION: gable end, 3-light window with cusped tracery to centre, clasping buttresses.
W ELEVATION: gable end, porch to centre advanced, 3-light window, cusped tracery set in 3-centred splayed arch with hoodmould. Buttresses. Round-arched doorway with hoodmould in return face to left. Crenellated parapet. 3-light window with cusped tracery to centre of gable wall, bellcote above, clasping buttresses.
All windows with leaded lights. Grey slate, moulded stone skews.
INTERIOR: gallery to W, timber vaulting, war memorial 1922 P R McLaren, stained glass W window 1966 W Wilson, S side 2 lights 1979 S Shaw.
ST TRIDUANA'S AISLE: 36'6" outside diameter, each angle of lexagon buttressed, 1 original, ashlar buttresses and band course 1906.
3 windows to S faces, depressed arch heads, 3 lights, cusped tracery, hoodmoulds, cills at ground level. Entrance to NW via later courtyard. Connection to church in NW face built up. Central clustered column of 6 shafts and fillet rising to support 6 radiating ribbed vaults, wall shaft responds in each angle. Elided capitals with floreate carving, floreate and shield bosses. Upper chapel wholly gone. Grey slate conical roof of 1907.
Graveyard containing late 17th century, early 18th century table stone tomb, wall mounted headstones and 18th and 19th century classical gravestones, burial enclosure to S, 1802.
Cottage at S entrance, 2-storey, 3-bay, painted walls, dark tiled gable roof, openings boarded and blocked, dormers at front.
Rubble stone wall to N, E, and S, later brick to W. Square rusticated gatepiers with overhanging cornice and wrought-iron arch to S entrance.
The Aisle is a Scheduled Monument. St Triduana was an 8th Century Saint who spent the end of her life in Restalrig. A parish church is on record as existing by 12th century, rebuilt 1487 into collegiate establishment called Deanery of Restalrig. Ordered to be razed December 1560. Some parts of choir walls survived until re-building of 1836. St Triduana's Aisle begun before 1477 when it was endowed by James III becoming the King's Chapel built on two levels with payment for the roof being made in 1486-7. The surviving lower level being an undercroft for the chapel above, which is deduced to have been of a single vault without central pier. Sometimes referred to as a "well- house", this is probably a misnomer, the flooding being accidental. The lower aisle was used as a burial chamber for the Logans of Restalrig.
INVENTORY of Ancient and Historical Monuments - Edinburgh, RCAHMS, 1951, pp1x-1xi, No 220 p253. MacGibbon and Ross, ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, Vol III p478. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol I p657. Groome, Ordnance GAZETTEER of Scotland, Vol V p249. Gifford, McWilliam, Walker, Buildings of Scotland, EDINBURGH, pp661-2.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.