3C CRAIGENTINNY CRESCENT, CRAIGENTINNY MARBLES (THE WILLIAM HENRY MILLER MAUSOLEUM) (Ref:27191)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2909 7437.
David Rhind, 1848-56; low relief sculpture carved by Alfred Gatley; architectural ornamentation carved by Thomas. Tall (almost 50ft), Neo-classical rectangular-planned mausoleum with low reliefs (each 12ft x 6ft) depicting "Overthrow of Pharaoh in the Red Sea" (N elevation) and "The Song of Moses and Miriam" (S elevation). Polished ashlar. Mausoleum on raised stage; plinth, acanthus-carved course to next smaller stage; acanthus-carved course between this and final, shallow stage; roll-moulded base to rectangular-planned sarcophagus with architrave, swag-carved frieze, dentilled cornice. Ribbed barrel roof of fish-scale carved ashlar with acanthus aneifixae; segmental pediment to E and W with acroteria at apex and, to E, carved with "Hoc Monumentum Posvit MDMDCCCLVI" to centre in wreath-surrounded plaque held by angels. Niche to E elevation with carved architrave. (W elevation as E elevation.)
BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble with squared and snecked upper section and ashlar coping. Granite plaque set into wall to N: "This monument was erected to the memory of William Henry Miller and his parents William Miller and Martha Rawson or Miller. Here are interred Martha Miller Died 11th January 1827; William Henry Miller MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme, born 13th February 1789, died 31st October 1848; Sarah Marsh Born 20th April 1792, Died 8th August 1860; Ellen Marsh Born 29th August 1801, died 4th November 1861. All of Craigentinny and Britwell Buckinghamshire. The site was consecrated on 13th September 1860. The sculptures were added in 1866. Architect David Rhind Edinburgh. Sculptor Alfred Gatley Rome."
Ian Gow explains that the Mausoleum was intended by William Henry Miller not just to commemorate his life but also to celebrate the Arts. "He stipulated that it should take the form of a facsimile of the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli." The man who was instrumental in these wishes being carried out was Samuel Christie, businessman and MP for Newcastle-upon-Lyme. Rhind, along with other architects, apparently wrote to Christie, and his knowledge of the Temple of Vesta along with his portfolio of completed work made him an ideal candidate. However, the magnitude of the original Temple meant that the scheme was altered and the mausoleum was to be based upon an antique tomb. William Henry Miller had been buried in a deep shaft for some time prior to the building of the mausoleum. It was intended that panels should also be carved for the E and W elevations, but these were never completed. The consecration was carried out by the Bishop of Edinburgh in March 1860 prior to the arrival of the low reliefs.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND- EDINBURGH, (1991), pp 661-662. THE ARCHITECTURAL OUTSIDERS: I Gow, "David Rhind, 1808-1883- the Master of Mercantile Ornament", (1985), pp 169-171.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.