37-43 (ODD NOS) CONSTITUTION STREET AND 49 ASSEMBLY STREET, EXCHANGE BUILDINGS (Ref:27147)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2730 7641.
TB (Thomas Brown ?), 1809-10; earlier Assembly Rooms, 1783. Large 3-storey 13-bay classical exchange buildings, Assembly Rooms to N. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar basement, tooled ashlar above with polished dressings to front and N elevation, stugged ashlar to N; Assembly Rooms coursed and squared rubble with polished ashlar dressings to NW, coursed rubble to SE. Base course; rusticated ground floor with impost course; band course above ground floor; cill course at 1st floor; band cill course at 2nd floor; eaves cornice with blocking course; segmental-arched tripartite doorways with Doric columns and segmental-arched fanlights (No 37 with radial astragals); round-arched windows at ground floor flanking doorways set in recessed round-arched ashlar panels; smaller rectangular windows at 2nd floor.NW (CONSTITUTION STREET) ELEVATION: 3 centre bays advanced at ground floor, doorway to centre with windows flanking; giant Ionic columns carrying blank frieze and pediment with clock; at 1st floor tripartite window at centre with segmental-arched ashlar fanlight and apron of blind balustrade, 2 single windows under ashlar panels with gilded inscription `Exchange Buildings' flanking. 2 bays to left with secondary doorway to left and single windows to remaining bays. 2 bays to right of centre bays with single windows. Slightly advanced 3-bay end pavilions with advanced centre bay bearing tablet and doorway at ground floor; architraved, consoled and pedimented window at 1st floor. Single windows to outer bays, at 1st floor architraved, consoled and corniced.NE (ASSEMBLY STREET) ELEVATION: single bay return of Constitution Street building detailed as pavilions with single windows. 5-bay 2-storey former Assembly Rooms (1783) to left; 3-bay hall with tall single windows adjoining Exchange Buildings; 2 slightly advanced quoined bays to left with plain doorway to right, rectangular fanlight with radial astragals, single window at 1st floor above; single windows to left bay. SE (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows to earlier Assembly Rooms. Exchange buildings with projections and additions.SW ELEVATION: 3-bay; band course above ground floor; single windows at ground floor, some with relieving arches. Gabled centre bay slightly advanced with skewline taken into corniced apex stack, at 1st floor tall tripartite window with broad panelled mullions and recessed ashlar aprons, round-arched fanlight (now blocked/relieving arch over (?); ashlar panel above. Single windows to outer bays(blocked at 2nd floor).Timber sash and case windows, mostly 12-pane or multi-pane glazing. Lead roof with metal flashings; 1 apex stack (see above), wallhead and transverse stacks. INTERIOR: large ballroom (No 43) much altered; Adamesque plaster ceiling of earlier Assembly rooms now obscured by false ceiling.
The exchange buildings were built by subscription as a meeting place for merchants, they included reading rooms, assembly rooms and a post office. Group with Nos 2-18, 1-31 Bernard Street, 29-35 Constitution Street and Robert Burns Statue.
Dean of Guild 2/10/1809. Gifford et al, EDINBURGH (1984), p464.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.