1 AND 2 LOCKHARTON GARDENS WITH RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:27137)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2310 7105.
James Gowans, circa 1880. 2-storey and attic irregular-plan idiosyncratic double villa; cream sandstone, ashlar front and sides, coursed and squared rubble rear with ashlar dressings; chamfered reveals; ashlar mullions; indented diamond frieze at eaves level; pedimented ashlar dormer-and gableheads (No 1 with pen-nib carving) and cast-iron ball finials. SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: 4-bay; mirrored about centre; 2-storey tripartite bow windows to inner bays each with pierced ashlar balustrade, steeply pitched gabled dormer with tripartite window above; stylised incised petal motif in gableheads; entrance doors of 10 equal panels in outer bays, semi-circular fanlight and sideleights (later stained glass border to No 2), ornamental carved brackets supporting cornice with frieze of pen-nib carving rising as semi-circled hood above door; single window at 1st floor; dormer above.
SE ELEVATION: advanced 2-storey bay to right with half-piend roof and dormer, 3 windows at ground floor, 1 at 1st floor, 1 window on return of bay; narrow single storey projection in re-entrant angle with side entrance and 4 widnows under eaves; bowed ashlar oriel above with indented diamond frieze, fish-scale half-conical roof and stylised elongated pen-nib motif on corbel; small bipartite stair windows in central bay, upper window with moulded block capitals; tripartite window in gablehead with indented diamond frieze and cornice.
NW ELEVATION: as SE elevation; lower timber lean-to conservatory with cast-iron ornamental brackets encasing single storey projection.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: mirrored about centre, each 3-bay; tripartite windows with narrow outer lights at ground and 1st floor of inner bays; dormers above; each projecting central bay with tripartite window at ground and 1st floor, flanked by narrow single windows; ashlar dormers above; narrow windows on return; single windows at ground floor to recessed outer bays; 3 single storey garages at No 1 (built 1954). Mostly plate glass timber sash and case windows, some 2-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lower sashes to rear and sides; green slate roof, lead flashings; 3 grooved ridge stacks, corniced with dentilled frieze and ornamental serrated cans; moulded eaves gutter.
INTERIOR: not seen 1992.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: high rubble boundary wall to NW, gatepier with large cast-iron sputnik ball finial to NW; low wall with saddleback coping to SW and SE, distinctive cast-iron railings to SE; tapering ashlar pedestrian gatepiers, chamfered corners, pyramidal copes and bands of stylised petal motifs.
Gifford et al., EDINBURGH (1984), p537; Duncan McAra SIR JAMES GOWANS ROMANTIC RATIONALIST (Edinburgh, 1975), p44; PO Directory 1884.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.