GLASGOW ROAD, CASTLE GOGAR WITH COTTAGE, GATE HOUSE, STABLES, OUTBUILDINGS, GATE AND GATEPIERS (Ref:27092)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1650 7310.
Probably William Ayton, 1625 with circa 1700 extensions, and later 19th century additions. 4-storey and garret, L-plan baronial mansion, (jamb joined only at SE corner to main block). Harled rubble with honey-coloured sandstone dressings; window margins painted. Crowstepped gables. String course. Pedimented dormerheads.S ELEVATION: gable of main block to right, windows symmetrically disposed at centre from ground to 3rd floor. 2-stage turrets with candle-snuffer roofs at corners, continuous moulded corbelling; that to right corbelled from above ground floor, that to left from above 1st floor window; ball finials; decorative, lozenge-type string course dividing stages, moulded eaves cornice. Blocked small rectangular opening to right of ground floor window. Entrance to main house at left return; low door to outer left, studded wood with grid, modern angle lantern lamps to right and left. Blank wallplane above door; tall corniced wallhead stack. Blocked window at principal floor to right of door, window above, broken- apex, oval-pedimented dormerhead with pyramidal finial, monograms IC and HS (John Cowper and his wife), date 1625 in pediment. Canted, 3-stage, stair-tower in re-entrant angle between jamb and main block, corbelled to square at eaves level, balustraded parapet. Blind arrowslit at ground at centre chamfered bay, window above directly under arrow-shaped corbelling. Windows asymmetrically disposed to right and left. String course divides stages, blocked opening directly above upper string course. Flat-roofed single storey projection at ground in front of left bay; windows symmetrically disposed in floors above, pediment as on main house with date 1625 and monogram. Circa 1700 single storey wing extends to W, lower lean-to passageway linked to tower, 2 barred windows on S elevation, linked to near- contemporary 2-storey cottage to left, aligned N-S, forming L-plan range and entrance court.E ELEVATION: turret to outer left, 3-bay main block at centre, taller round tower advanced to outer right at NE corner. Windows symmetrically disposed in outer bays of main block, gabled dormerheads, barred window at ground level to outer right, single window at 2nd floor centre. Round tower with conical roof, moulded eaves cornice, windows to NE, symmetrically placed from principal to 3rd floor, blocked opening at ground level.N ELEVATION: round tower to outer left, windows at SW, symmetrically placed from ground to 3rd floor, blocked window at principal floor. Gable of main block to right, barred window at ground, principal floor window at centre, 2nd and 3rd floor windows placed to outer right of gable. Jamb advanced to right, 3 bays with 2-stage turret at W, candle-snuffer roof, string course, eaves moulding. Later 19th century canted bay window off centre to right, canted at ground with barred window at centre, main window at principal floor; ashlar, half-piend roof. Window to outer left, gun-loop to right. Window at centre at 2nd floor; 2 gabled dormerheads with IC, HS initials; finials. Single storey, 2-bay wing to right, 12-pane sash and case windows, that to right barred; piended roof. Harled curtain wall with ashlar coping to right terminating in sandstone quoin pier with ashlar, pyramidal cap; identical pier on opposite of gate; leads to cottage and stable block.12-and 8-pane sash and case windows. Gabled, slate roof, stone ridge; apex and wallhead stacks, modern circular cans.INTERIOR: not seen 1992.COTTAGE: early 18th century rectangular-plan 2-storey cottage, aligned N-S along W side of site. Windows symmetrically placed at 1st floor on E elevation above lean-to single storey block advanced at ground. Door at S to right on lean-to block. Barred window to left at ground on gable. Later lean-to store additions to left. 3 asymmetrical bays on W elevation, some enlarged windows. Lean-to store to right.12-pane sash and case windows, some replacement windows on W elevation. Grey slate roof, stone ridge, corniced, apex stacks, thackstanes.GATEHOUSE: rectangular-plan single storey gatehouse immediately N of gates to stables to SW of house. Rendered rubble on all elevations save W. Door to right of N elevation, honey-coloured sandstone chamfered surround, small window to left. Grey slate pyramidal roof with lead flashings.GATES AND GATEPIERS, GARDEN WALL: leading to stable block. Gatepier attached to gatehouse on N side. Ashlar, banded vermiculation, stop-chamfered arrises, corniced caps, ball finials.GATES: cast-iron 2-leaf gates, diagonal railings with decorative wrought-iron frieze at lower level and between railings at top.GARDEN WALL: rubble wall to S of gate bounds garden and closes stable block from avenue.STABLES: rectangular-plan stable block lies to SW of house, aligned NW-SE. Rubble with harl pointing, pink sandstone dressings; chamfered reveals. Crowstepped gables. Poor condition. Boarded door set in segmental- headed arch recess at centre, flanked by 2 massive angle buttresses. Single fixed 9-pane window immediately to left, boarded door to left, open cartshed to outer left (some alteration to garage). Cottage attached at S. Rendered, rectangular-plan with piend and platfrom roofed jamb at SE forming L-plan. Modern lean-to porch at re-entrant angle. 3-bay stable to right of centre door, 4th blank bay to outer right. 3 bays grouped towards left, 2-leaf boarded door at centre, flanking windows (6-pane fixed upper with lower boarded). Evidence of blocked opening immediately to right of outer right window.Fixed-pane windows. Grey slate roof, fallen through in various places, stone ridge, crowstepped gables.
The lands of Gogar (Nether) were acquired by Sir John Cowper, Lord Ordinary of the court of Session, in 1601. The house was built in 1625 by John Cowper, Sir John's son. It has been called the `..most baronial of Edinburgh's late 16th century and early 17th century mansions'. On the basis of similarities with Winton House, E Lothian and Innes House, Grampian, William Ayton has been credited as the architect. The stables are in poor condition. The walled garden to W of the house is very overgrown and the associated green houses in a poor state of repair. Castle Gogar was formerly called Gogar House. Castle Gogar bridge and Castle Gogar Lodge and gates are listed separately.
RCHAMS INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN (1929) pp23-24.
J Gifford, C McWilliam & D Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p590-591.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.