DALMAHOY ESTATE, DALMAHOY BRIDGE GOGAR BURN (Ref:26940)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1464 6990.
Probably Alexander Laing after designs by William Adam, circa 1786. Round-arched, single-span bridge carrying avenue to Dalmahoy House over Gogar Burn. Droved ashlar with polished ashlar impost continuing as string course; moulded archivolt. Random rubble abutments advanced at angle beyond line of bridge, droved quoins on left and right corner. Ashlar parapet fluted with moulded coping; paterae at regular intervals, 2 above bridge span and 1 at centre of abutments. Armorial plaque above crown of bridge on each side.
The drawings in the SRO are proposals for a new bridge on the road to the N gate by Alexander Laing architect. Laing carried out a lot of work at Dalmahoy and about this time, 1787, was building the new offices at Dalmahoy. Dalmahoy House, North entrance gates and North lodge are listed separately.
C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p167. SRO drawings, GD150/3504/19, proposed new bridge on the road to the N gate, Alexander Laing, 1785 & 1787, also letters regarding the building of bridge (information courtesy of the NMRS).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.