CRAIGIEHALL TEMPLE (OFF CAMMO ROAD) (Ref:26928)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1702 7491.
Dated 1759 incorporating earlier portico. Circular-plan, single storey drum temple, (originally with an extra stage, removed in 1975), with rectangular-plan stair tower at rear to SE, modern unsympathetic addition to E built 1992. Rubble built, ashlar fronted. Base course; band course; dentil cornice.
N ELEVATION: overlooking Craigiehall Estate. Early 18th century Doric portico with corner piers and paired central columns on die; massy segmental pediment ornately carved with monogram and arms of 3rd Earl of Annandale and his wife Sophia Fairholm. Flanking plain windows, now with unglazed small-pane grille, inscribed marble date plaque above right window with Latin inscription `live happy while you can among joyful things'.
S ELEVATION: stair projection, rubble with ashlar quoins. Large oculus at upper stage. Door at ground of left return.
All windows unglazed but with metal grilles. Concrete roof.
INTERIOR: octagonal interior. Floor gone between ground and 2nd level; plain classical chimneypieces against W wall; blocked window opening to right of 1st floor chimney.
Tiled floor inlaid with marble. Concrete ceiling. Interior in neglected condition.
Listed category A for the portico. The temple is located in the middle of the deer park of Craigiehall Estate on the top of Leny Hill. The temple is dated 1759 but the portico is earlier, certainly pre 1716 when Sophia Fairholm died, wife of the 3rd Earl of Annandale whose arms are shown on the pediment. The authors of the Edinburgh volume of the Buildings of Scotland have suggested that the portico may have been one of the forecourt gates designed by the Earl of Mar and made by Alexander McGill in 1708. The top floor of the temple was removed in 1975. In 1992 an unsympathetic dwelling house was built against the NE side of the temple. The single storey with attic, rectangular-plan dwelling abuts onto temple at SE with a glazed wood angular porch, as yet there is no access to the temple. Grey brick base, dry-dash, rubble to S elevation; grey slate piend and platformed roof with square quadripartite dormer on E elevation. Craigiehall and associated buildings are listed separately.
J Gifford, C McWilliam, D Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p592. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1895) p295. Major C B Innes CRAIGIEHALL - THE STORY OF A FINE SCOTS COUNTRY HOUSE. Typescript (1987). AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPE IN SCOTLAND
Vol 5, p38.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.