DUDDINGSTON PARISH CHURCH (C OF S) INCLUDING CHURCHYARD AND WATCH TOWER OLD CHURCH LANE DUDDINGSTON (Ref:26924)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: N/A.
12th century. Romanesque, originally aisleless, nave with chancel only, rich SW doorway and chancel arch; axial W tower later; N aisle added 1631, 2 windows with gothic survival tracery; considerable alterations, probably later 18th century, gothic windows in S wall, E gable, scalloped parapet of tower, obelisk pinnacles etc. Interior remodelled Sir R Rowand Anderson 1889 in 17th century manner. Jougs, probably 17th century; Watch tower hexagonal , 2-storey ashlar with corbelled and battlemented parapet, octagonal chimney shafts and round arched windows Robert Brown 1824; simple square pyramid-capped gatepiers.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Heritors' Records
give architect of watch house as Robert Brown; some
alterations were made by him to the interior of the church in
1825; further alterations were made to the church in 1839,
but the records are missing.
Inv. 82 (Midlothian);
MacRae Her 37;
Ecc Arch v.I p.333-8;
Post Ref Chs (Hay) 22, 39, 52, 231, 236, 240 Pl. 46a; Annals
of Duddingston and Portobello (Baird).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.