HAYMARKET TERRACE, HAYMARKET STATION ENTRANCE AND OFFICE BLOCK WITH STEPS, RAILINGS, AND LAMP STANDARD (Ref:26901)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 27/10/1964.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2401 7318.
John Miller, engineer, 1840, opened 1842. Italianate symmetrical 2-storey 7-bay station office and entrance block. Ashlar sandstone with polished dressings and long and short quoins. Dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course. 2-leaf panelled doors with 2-pane fanlights.PRINCIPLE ELEVATION: tetrastyle Tuscan portico across 3 bays at centre with entablature (dentilled cornice) and blocking course; behind, 4 closely spaced windows and a door to far left. Flanking bays with consoled cornices; door to right, built up window to left. Outer bays advanced, each with door and consoled cornice at ground. 1st floor windows to all bays with bracketed cills and consoled cornices. Clock above cornice at centre, in round-headed moulded ashlar frame, slightly splayed at base; James Ritchie and Son.SIDE ELEVATIONS: 2-bay. Stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings; dentilled cornice and blocking course. Much altered.REAR ELEVATION: 3-storey 6-bay rear elevation with wallhead stacks and modern additions; detailed as side elevations, without cornice. Gablehead dormer to right.Modern stairs to platforms at lower level.Timber sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing. Shallow piend roof behind blocking course, grey slates; corniced wallhead stacks; original pierced octagonal cans.INTERIOR: gutted at ground for modern ticket booths, shop and offices. Boardroom survives at centre of 1st floor; monumental polished pink granite Egyptian chimneypiece with pair of squat obelisks flanking simple mantelpiece; single window cornice supported on consoles, with acroteria, fills NE wall; NW door with massive surround and cornice supported on consoles. Heavily moulded dentilled cornice and ceiling rose, both with anthemion and palmette decoration. Most of 1st and upper floors derelict (1992).STEPS AND RAILINGS: ashlar steps descending to platform level to N; cast-iron decorative railings at centre. Cast-iron lamp standard at upper ground level. Gates removed.
Originally the head office of the terminus of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. David Bell is likely to have been responsible for the architectural design. Original iron train shed now at Bo'ness Museum. Trains ran through to Waverley from 1846, but present arrangement of through platforms by James Carswell, 1894. Platforms redeveloped 1982-4.
British Rail Archives (SRO); BLASTPIPE Nos 55, 60 1982,1983; Dennis Rodwell "What Does One Do with a Dilapidated Pidgeon Coop?" SCOTTISH FIELD; A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH p 278. Gifford et. al. EDINBURGH p 369.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.