BONNINGTON SUNDIAL (Ref:26853)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 13/01/1975.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1119 6915.
Late 17th century. Ashlar sandstone obelisk dial situated to W of Bonnington House directly in line from W entrance within former walled garden. Obelisk capping polyhedron on ornamental pedestal set on 3, diamond-aligned steps. Finial of obelisk broken off. Bowl-shaped and flat dial faces on polyhedron. Pedestal has bowl and heart-shaped carved cavities, flat dial faces, and armorial plaque with arms of Cunninghame of Belton and Bonnington in compartments on N side of pedestal. Gnomons missing.
The sundial belongs to the earlier building phase of Bonnington House. MacGibbon and Ross give the full dimensions of the dial as well as listing similar examples, particularly that at Barnbougle Castle Linlithgowshire which also has the Cunninghame arms on the base. Bonnington House and Bonnington dovecot are listed separately.
A N Robertson 'Old Sundials in and near Edinburgh' in BOOK OF OLD EDINBURGH CLUB Vol 27 1948 p108. W B Stevenson SUNDIALS OF SIX COUNTIES NEAR GLASGOW p273. MacGibbon & Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND Vol 5 p408-409.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).