BONNINGTON HOUSE WITH BALUSTRADED WALL (Ref:26826)
This building is in the Edinburgh, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1115 6915.
Probably Alexander Black, 1858 incorporating an earlier house of 1622 with later additions of circa 1720. 2-storey and attic Jacobean mansion over low basement, 7-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan, double-pile. Rendered with honey-coloured sandstone dressings. String courses, eaves band, corner bartizans, balustrade, buckle quoins, shaped gables. Chamfered arrises.
E ELEVATION: symmetrical block with balustraded terrace wall. Entrance block of 3 bays at centre, slightly advanced with shaped gable. Solid stone stair and platt to door with heavily-detailed painted doorpiece; round- headed door framed by banded Doric columns supporting entablature which in turn supports strapwork and amphorae. 9-panelled door with Edinburgh handle and plate-glass arched fanlight. Flanking console-keystoned niches with eagles on pedestals. 3 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor with single window with strapwork detailing in gablehead. Windows symmetrically disposed in bays to right and left, wallhead balustrade interrupted by stone dormer windows with decorative, shaped pediments capped by crescent finials. Corners pepperpot bartizans with ogival lead roofs; tall finials.
W ELEVATION: 7-bay, symmetrical, detailed similar to E elevation. Centre 3 bays advanced with shaped gable. Plain stair to glazed porch over narrow moulded door at centre (apparently part of the 1622 house). Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, single window in gablehead. Symmetrical flanking bays to left and right with dormer windows interrupting balustrade, shaped pediments with floral and thistle finials; corner pepperpot bartizans.
S ELEVATION: shaped M-gabled elevation with corner bartizans and sqaure projecing bay window off-centre to left. 3 windows symmetrically grouped towards centre at 1st floor with windows in right and left gablehead. Raggle of former lean-to shed/greenhouse immediately to right of bay window above panelled door giving access to house. Stepped brick retaining wall with ball finials to right. Plain steps up to terrace area.
N ELEVATION: shaped M-gable. Stair down to basement at outer left, symmetrical grouping of 3 bays toward centre at 1st and 2nd floor, windows in gablehead.
8-pane and 4-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Fixed glazing to lancets in bartizans. Grey slate piend roof. 10 square stacks united under cornice forming rooftop feature. Square decorative rainwater heads on either side of the main entrance. Cast-iron rainwater goods over centre bay of W elevation incorparating a fleur-de-lis panel and square rainwater heads with 1858 date.
INTERIOR: Not seen August 1992.
The original house of 1622 can still be discerned on the garden front, this house was apparently doubled with another block of similar size in circa 1720. In 1858 the entire house was given a Jacobean treatment apparently by Alexander Black and is similar to Heriot's Hospital in Edinburgh. Bonnington dovecot and sundial are listed separately.
C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p113. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p174. NSA Vol I, p83. J Tweedie & C Jones OUR DISTRICT (1975) p78. Sales Brochure 1976 in NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.