67 COMMERCIAL STREET, CUSTOM HOUSE, WITH STABLE RANGE; EH6 6LH (Ref:26787)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 2703 7658.
Robert Reid, 1810-12; additions and alterations by William Burn, 1825. Severe neo-classical symmetrical 2-storey 11-bay building, with attic storey to advanced centrepiece and end bays; single storey stable range to rear; Burn?s additions include perron stair, single storey pavilions and single storey links to stables. Cream sandstone ashlar; base course, cill course to 1st floor, band course above, dentilled cornice; balustraded parapet between panelled and coped attic storeys; punched windows.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay pedimented centrepiece with pair of fluted Greek Doric columns set in antis between broad piers, each pier with niche at ground and framed square panel above; Royal arms (carved from wood) in tympanum; 2-leaf panelled door with moulded architrave and cornice; perron steps, panelled to front, with bulbous balusters and piers. 3 bays and broader advanced end bay to either side. Flanking advanced single storey pavilions with window in recessed arch; moulded impost course; cornice and blocking course with raised panelled central tablet. Arrowhead cast-iron railings on flat ashlar bed between pavilions and centrepiece.
W (DOCK PLACE) ELEVATION: at ground, single storey pavilion to S with large rectangular window in recessed segmental-arched panel, moulded impost course, panelled door with 3-pane rectangular fanlight to right, blocking course with raised panelled tablet; coursed single storey rubble screen wall enclosing stable court to S with 2 small windows and door between extends to tall ashlar carriage gateway detailed as pavilion but with 2-leaf boarded gates in round-headed arch. Recessed to N, piend-roofed 2-storey 3-bay end of coursed rubble stables, central window of 1st floor blind. 1st floor of main block with pair of central windows and slightly advanced outer bays.
E (WATERFRONT) ELEVATION: as above, but: S pavilion with round-headed arch and standard window (no door); ashlar screen with 5 bays, panelled door to left with consoled cornice, narrow door to inner left with flanking sidelights, 3 windows to right. Stable pavilion with door to centre at ground.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey and attic 8-bay; coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; band course, cornice and parapet to advanced single end bays only; windows to each bay of principal floors. Centre 4 bays advanced with attic windows and pediment. Flanking bays with round- headed loading bay breaking eaves at centre; projecting porch to 3rd bay from left; inner right bays with projecting garage door addition at ground. End pavilions (see above).
STABLE RANGE: coursed rubble 2-storey 12-bay range with stugged ashlar dressings; 4 central bays with irregular fenestration between pair of slightly advanced fronts with recessed archways (blank to left, windows to both floors to right) and blocking courses, 2 bays beyond and taller end bays.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, piended roofs; cast-iron downpipes; decorative rainwater heads stamped GIIIR.
INTERIOR: classical theme continues, much-altered by Burn. Lobby leads via tripartite doorway with elliptical fanlight to oblong central stair-hall with Imperial stair going down to ground level and up to gallery and principal floor; acanthus balusters embossed with lions rampant; oval dome on pendentives and elliptical arches with coffered soffits, opening through smaller elliptical-headed doorways to room each side. To E top-lit Boardroom, with apsidal ended meeting room beyond; to W top-lit arcaded Long Room with D-shaped room beyond. To E at ground Burn's public reception room created in single storey link with direct access; elaborate 9-compartment ceiling on bracketed cornice (now fitted out as exhibition room).
The interior was massively altered by Burn, who put in the stair, and is now used as storage by the National Museums of Scotland; it's appearance reflects that use.
NMRS EDD 132/1-4. RCAHMS INVENTORY No 229. John R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND London (1976) Vol I. F Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER IV (1895) p482. David Patterson & Joe Rock THOMAS BEGBIE?S EDINBURGH Edinburgh (1992) p124. Thomas H Shepherd MODERN ATHENS London (1829). RIAS EDINBURGH (1992) p222. Gifford et.al EDINBURGH (1988) pp462-3.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.