ADDISTOUN DOVECOT (Ref:26697)
This building is in the Edinburgh Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NT 1541 6955.
Earlier 18th century. Double-chambered, 2-stage lectern dovecot. Rubble with harl-pointing; ashlar quoins; stugged sandstone margins. Crowstepped gables; ashlar coping along roof ridge. Rat course with slate coping; 2 to gables (upper with course coping).
S ELEVATION: 2-bay; blank ground floor; 2 window openings at upper stage; right opening blocked; chamfered arrises.
E ELEVATION: door at centre ground.
W ELEVATION: blank.
N ELEVATION: blank.
INTERIOR: sandstone nesting-boxes; 828 in total.
Grey slated lean-to roof, horizontal break with flight- holes at lower level of roof.
Addistoun was the site of the former dower house of Dalmahoy House and was incorporated into the policies of Dalmahoy in the latter half of the 18th century. The house was lived in by Thomas Hogg of Newliston prior to the building of Newliston. The original house was demolished in the 1930s and the new Addistoun House was designed by Charles Soutar of Dundee from 1937-39. Addistoun House is listed separately. See similar dovecots at Newhailes (converted), Pilmuir, East Lothian, Pencaitland and Biel.
C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p75. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p34. A Niven Robertson `OLD DOVECOTS in and around Edinburgh' in BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB (1945) Vol 25 p90. AN INVENTORY OF THE GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND VOL 5 LOTHIAN AND BORDERS (1987) pp1-4. Roy's map of Lothian c1750.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).