MILTON HOUSE (DISTRICT COUNCIL OFFICES) (Ref:26451)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 21/03/1990.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1733 7667.
Style of David Hamilton, circa 1842. Two-storey villa in Hamilton's own Tudoresque style, lower service wing to north; now offices. Harled, with ashlar margins, dressings, and chamfered ingoes: mostly hood-moulded openings; mostly original horizontal glazing pattern (sashes); gables crowstepped or with saw-toothed skews. Three-bay west (main entrance) elevation 3 bays, advanced gable right with canted ground floor window, crenellated porch in re-entrant angle, wall-head gable to left, single window beyond, in upper level of wing. South elevation is symmetrical, 3 finialled and gabled window bays, the outer slightly advanced, shallow central porch with door now a window. Tall, east-facing stair window. Stacks have square flues linked by cornice, some cut down. Slated roofs. Inside, ornament is classical, principal rooms have decorative cornice plasterwork, chimney pieces also decorative, cast-iron stair balusters a common pattern.
Milton estate passed in 1815 to John Moir of Hillfoot,
Dollar, subsequently John MacArthur-Moir.
The 1842 work may incorporate an existing house. Some service
wings demolished in recent years.
Information from Dunoon and Cowal Heritage Trust
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.