ARGYLL STREET, BURGH HALL BUILDING (Ref:26439)
This building is in the Argyll And Bute Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 06/12/1993.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 1728 7691.
Robert A Bryden, 1873. Asymmetrical 2-storey and 2-storey and attic, Scottish Baronial, L-plan burgh hall building set on corner site. Grey-green random rubble with cream sandstone ashlar dressings. String course; stepped corbel course; crowstepped gables; beak skewputts. ARGYLL STREET (E) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay block set back from street with taller hall building adjoining to right. Lower block with pointed-arch doorway with 2-leaf doors, set within basket-arched and moulded surround, to outer right. Bipartite window to centre and left at ground. Single window to centre and left at 1st floor with bipartite window to outer right. Taller burgh hall building to right, 3 single windows to centre and outer right, twin pointed-arch windows to outer left. 2 tall windows to centre at 1st floor, with cornices and moulded panels above. Stepped corbel course above, with circular window with cusped tracery above to centre in crowstepped gable. Curved angle to left corbelled to square below angle bartizan.
SIDE ELEVATION: 2 bipartite windows to left of centre at ground, 2 single windows to right, 4 single windows at 1st floor. Taller gabled bays to outer right and left. Bay to outer left with single pointed-arch window at ground, 2 windows at 1st floor, circular window to gable above. Doorway to bay to outer right, with pointed-arch window above.
REAR (W) ELEVATION: gabled bay with 3-light window to gable, gabled porch to outer left, with doorway to W, 2-light window on return to left.
INTERIOR: not seen. Variety of glazing patterns; timber sash and case windows with 2-pane glazing others with 2-pane to lower sashes and single pane to upper sashes; fixed-pane glazing to burgh hall. Grey slate roof; coped ashlar stacks, moulded cans.
The ground for the burgh hall was gifted to the people of Dunoon by
Mr Macarthur Moir. R A Bryden was appointed by the Commissioners to prepare plans for a hall to accommodate 700 people. It was formally opened on 25 June 1874. It was described in the Dictionary of the Clyde published 1888, as one of the principal edifices in the town most worthy of notice. It was noted that "it was erected at a cost of $4,000 and containing the municipal offices with a hall that can accommodate 500 persons and is adorned with a stained glass window".
Information courtesy of J Gerrard, Scottish Civic Trust.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.