15, 17, 19 SEAFIELD STREET AND THE SQUARE, SEAFIELD ARMS HOTEL AND TOWN HALL (Ref:23743)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 513 671.
William Robertson, 1822-23; additions to town hall (facing The Square), John Fowlie, 1899-1900. Repairs after fire, 1951-53. 2-storey L-plan corner range fronting Seafield Street (hotel of 5 bays) and The Square (town hall, 9 bays of which the northern 4 bays are the 1899-1900 additions). 2-storey, 5-bay stable court frontage extends E along Seafield Street. Harled with generous use of ashlar dressings and margins. Ashlar faced bowed pivotal angle of 3 bays with 3 segmental-headed entrances in ground floor approached by curved flight of steps. 3 1st floor windows set in round-headed shallow recesses. Seafield Street frontage with slightly advanced outer bays; similar arrangement to The Square facade, the northern 4 bays (1899-1900) in similar style to the original resulting in 9-bay elevation, the outer and centre bays slightly advanced. 1st floor windows in advanced bays are set in shallow round-headed ashlar recesses, all other 1st floor windows have bracketted cornices, all being linked by continuous band/cill course; 12-pane glazing. Wide segmental-headed centre entrance to hotel in Seafield Street; similar entrance in original 5-bay frontage facing The Square (but no longer in centre of facade owing to additions). Deep ashlar corniced eaves band and blocking course, stepped above advanced bays and supporting Seafield coat of arms at pivotal angle bay. Blocking course removed at Seafield Street frontage to accommodate 4 mid-20th century piended dormers. Coped ridge stacks; slate roof, bowed at angle; corrugated asbestos roof (1951-3) with shallow pitch to town hall. Former stable court fronts Seafield Street at E; centre tall basket-arched entrance flanked by tripartites in shallow recessed bays; small 1st floor (former loft) windows, the centre of oval form. Multi-pane glazing; slate roof with projecting eaves. INTERIOR: much altered both in hotel and town hall. Centre 1st floor council chamber with original curved panelled doors with reeded doorpieces and centre plaster ceiling rosette. Council chamber reached by re-modelled imperial staircase with surviving Greek key-pattern dado and banding to top light; also original niche with marble statue of Venus. All other rooms in town hall re-modelled. Hotel also adapted for modern use but beaded panelled window shutters and moulded door cases survive in 1st floor lounge: original cast-iron balusters to staircase.
Built and paid for at cost of $3,000 by Colonel F W Grant for
the Earl of Seafield; building combined town hall, post
office, 'commodious courtroom' and hotel; there was also a
ball room. Ashlar masonry re-used from 'House o Rannas'
(Rathven Parish), in particular for the staircase. The town
hall (fronting The Square) was considered too small at end of
19th century, and after purchasing the adjoining plot and
after considerable consultation, John Fowlie, architect to
Seafield estates, designed the additional 4-bay extension at
the N end of The Square to accommodate a new town hall
capable of seating 500. This was badly damaged by fire in
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p.328. BANFFSHIRE
ADVERTISER, 13 April 1899, p.6; 15 June, 1899; 1 Nov 1900,
p.5, report of opening of new town hall. Howard Colvin, A
BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840
(1978), p.699. Elizabeth Beaton, WILLIAM ROBERTSON, 1786-1841
'ARCHITECT IN ELGIN' (1984), pp. 7, 26. Further information
regarding fire and repairs thereafter (1951-3) by courtesy
Moray District Record Office. Scottish Record Office
GD248/784/5/56 (Specifications 1823).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.