ABERLOUR HOUSE AND TERRACE (ABERLOUR HOUSE PREPARATORY SCHOOL) (Ref:2349)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: 6, 7,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NJ 2793 4361.
William Robertson, 1838-9, mansion with extensive additions
by A and W Reid, 1854-68. Further alterations by Dick Peddie
and Kinnear, 1885-6. Drawing room addition circa 1892
decorated by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1892-3 who also designed
other interior decorations (surviving only in library).
Austere N facing classical 2-storey mansion with single
storey and attic ranges extending to rear. Polished and tooled
Original 5-bay house with shallow advanced outer bays; 2-tier
pedimented tetrastyle portico, lower tier projecting as porte
cochere supported by fluted Greek Doric columns with Empire
garland frieze (porte cochere circa 1855 but probably
designed by William Robertson).
2-storey, 3-bay drawing room wing extends at E continuous
Rectangular bay window (1854) lights library (former dining
room) at W; similar window lights drawing room at E (re-used
from former drawing room).
Some corniced and lugged architraves to aproned ground floor
Set back 2-bay wing survives at W with outer window framed by
paired pilasters and paired engaged columns supporting
entablature and corniced wallhead.
Extensive infilling of original rear court between 1856-1868;
E return elevation with dormers, windows and hooded canopied
Multi-pane glazing; corniced wallhead; corniced stacks;
shallow piended and gabled slate roofs.
House flanked E and W by 1838-9 polished ashlar pedimented
basket-headed arches leading to former stable court. Paired
pilasters clasp N and S facets under paired Empire garlands;
anthemion and acroteria decorate pediment. Arches linked to
house by low coped tooled ashlar quadrant walls.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, formerly with doorways to drawing
room (left) and dining room (right), opens through columned
screen to stairhall rising 2 storeys; imperial staircase with
mid 19th century cast-and wrought-iron balusters linked to
fluted Ionic cast-iron newels. Coffered ceiling with gilded
detailing and gilded floreated and foliated bosses. Chequered
marble floor (1892-3).
LIBRARY (FORMER DINING ROOM): re-modelled as library by Sir
Robert Lorimer, 1892-3, including bookcases, some with glazed
fronts; also marble chimneypiece with decorative medallions;
coffered ceiling and decorative frieze. 1837 former drawing
room (now children's common room): carved red marble
HEADMASTER'S STUDY; 1892-3 chimneypiece with marble slips.
TERRACE: (1885): mansion fronted by balustrade and flights of
steps descending to lower lawn (now playing field).
Aberlour House, together with E lodge, columns and stables
built by Alexander Grant, who originated from Glenrinnes and
who made a fortune in W Indies. It is doubtful he ever lived
in the house, which he left to his niece, Miss Margaret
Gordon MacPherson, at his death in 1854. She added Grant to
her own name and made extensive additions to house and
policies, dying in 1877 aged 43.
House damaged by fire in 1875.
Property purchased in 1885 by Sir John Ritchie Findlay, owner
of THE SCOTSMAN newspaper, who made further alterations and
additions, including drawing room decorated by Sir Robert
Lorimer (decorations have not survived).
Aberlour House now a school.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87.
ELGIN COURANT, 31 October, 1838; ABERDEEN JOURNAL, 28
November 1838. Advertisements for tenders. J and W Watson,
MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp.46-7. Howard Colvin A
BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1978),
p.699. Peter Savage, LORIMER AND THE EDINBURGH CRAFT
DESIGNERS (1980), pp.14, 56, 66, 73, 171. Elizabeth Beaton,
WILLIAM ROBERTSON, 1786-1841 'ARCHITECT IN ELGIN' (1984),
pp.21-22, 24. Photograph collection, Elgin Library. Moray
District Record Office, Forres DAWP 2001. National Record of
Scotland. Further information by courtesy Messrs Dick Peddie
and Mackay, Edinburgh.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.