KELLAS HOUSE (Ref:2345)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 166 539.
Frank Deas, 1913-21. Scottish Arts and Crafts. Roughly L-plan, 2-storey asymmetrical house with entrance at N with S garden front in principal arm of L. Harled, ashlar dressings. L-plan N entrance front with off-centre entrance, circular drum tower stairwell in re-entrant angle and service wing left. 2-storey, rectangular plan porch with segmental-headed, keystoned entrance, chamfered angles at 1st floor rising to ashlar balustraded wallhead; small centre corbelled oriel with carved decoration depicting stylised foliage and roses. 2 long round-headed windows light stair tower; irregular fenestration include 1st floor and gablet oculi. 6-bay S garden front with segmental-headed ground floor fenestration, side entrance and full height projecting canted window; single storey verandah at SW with shaped wooden balustered wallhead infills re-entrant angle between gables. Irregular E elevation with another drum stair-tower and mullioned window under wallhead balustrade. Narrow W elevation with single storey bowed and balustraded porch leading to study/gunroom. Rear service court entered through segmental-headed arch linking intergral garage. Multi-pane glazing. Shaped gables with flat skews; coped ridge and wallhead stacks; Caithness slate roofs. INTERIOR: entrance porch leads to hall-corridor running E-W with study entrance at right (W) and stairwell at E. Simple staircase with wide lower trades and splayed balustrade seated in tapered newel-column rising to ceiling; flat shaped oak balusters, linked at turn of stairs by square newel post carved with low relief thistle decoraton. DRAWING ROOM: long S facing room with hearths each end, divisible by sliding doors across centre of room. Wide recessed chimneypiece at E, tiled below mantelshelf with either plain white or decorative coloured Dutch tiles and panelled above; original grate and fender. W hearth in deeper, inglenook style recess; as at E but narrower, the upper part plain but flanked by round-headed shelved alcoves; simple moulded ceiling. DINING ROOM: D-ended at N end with tiled chimneypiece right and service door left; shelved alcove above fireplace; moulded cornice.
House designed by Frank Deas for his cousin, Mr George
Christie. Though commenced in 1913 it was not completed
until after the 1st World War. The site was a piece of
bare hillside overlooking the River Lossie. The present
mature garden was designed and planted by Mr Christie,
whose family continue to own Kellas House.
Plans and drawings signed and dated 1913 in possession of
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.