MILTON BRODIE HOUSE AND GATEPIERS (Ref:2336)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 25/04/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 092 629.
S facade of 1835-40 in style of William Robertson of Elgin, fronting and infilling early-mid 18th century 2-storey and attic U-plan courtyard house of 2 or more builds. Frontage rendered and lined as ashlar, harled or harl pointed flanks and rear, tooled and polished ashlar dressings and margins. Mainly single storey 7-bay S front screens earlier rear with centre door with narrow side lights; tetrastyle Ionic porch with monolith columns; long paired flanking windows (lighting drawing room left and dining room right); outer bays (formerly gable ends of flanking wings of earlier house) with slightly advanced 2-storey pedimented window sections rising above wallhead with anthemion acroteria, supported by ornate scroll brackets; shallow aprons to corniced ground floor windows in moulded lugged surrounds; paired stacks crown pediments. End bays linked by continuous cornice and blocking course. W elevation comprises 2 x 2-storey and attic, 3-bay blocks, that to SW dating from late 18th century (with centre door) and at NW dated 1900, both blocks linked by set-back W gable of original 2-storey and attic house, forming small U-plan court. Irregular rear with projecting gabled stairwell. Lying-pane glazing in S front (partially blind windows in outer bays); 12-pane glazing elsewhere. Paired square ashlar end and ridge stacks in front, various coped end stacks elsewhere; early 18th century cavetto skewputts on earliest portion of house; slate roofs. INTERIOR: wide entrance hall with drawing room left and dining room right (all 1835-40). DRAWING ROOM: tall double doors with corniced overdoor; carved wooden chimneypiece with marble slips; decorative plaster ceiling cornice with anthemion design. DINING ROOM: similar paired doors as drawing room; Ionic columned screen; simple ceiling cornice; white painted chimneypiece with marble slips. 18th century fielded panelled doors and window shutters survive in older part of house which has low ceilinged rooms. GATEPIERS: 2 pairs of mid 18th century gatepiers, flanking E and S entrances. Square, polished ashlar with shaped caps and ball finials on attenuated bases.
Milton Brodie House built on old site, part of lands of
Kinloss Abbey. During 18th century it was called
Windyhills, also the name of a property in Grange
Parish, which was itself the Grange of Kinloss. James
Brodie of Windyhills died in 1741, leaving the estate to
his relation, George Brodie whose father had sold his
estate of Milton (now Miltonduff) to the Duffs of Braco;
the Brodies re-named Windyhills Milton Brodie. In 1798
the house was 'not modern (but) indicating neat internal
accommodation'; by 1842 it had 'lately received
considerable additions and improvements'.
Walled garden and gazebo no longer belong to house; the
gazebo is listed separately. The walled garden is not
included in listing.
Small gutted cottage, sited to N of mansion and known as
'The Penitentiary' incorporates late 17th or 18th
century fabric, remodelled in 19th century. Skewputt has
very worn date, possibly 1691. Not included in listing.
Lectern dovecot dated 1769 which formerly belonged to
house demolished during 1960's.
Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.
Lachlan Shaw, THE HISTORY OF THE PROVINCE OF MORAY
(1775), pp.86-7. Anon, SURVEY OF THE PROVINCE OF MORAY
(1798), p.146. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii. (1835),
p.104. FORRES GAZETTE, 5 Aug 1842, p.1 and 4 May 1844,
p.1. J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.108.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.