BOAT OF BRIG TOLLHOUSE (Ref:2324)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 318 516.
William Robertson, 1830. N facing single storey, 5-bay classical tollhouse; harled, ashlar margins and dressings. Pedimented baseless Roman Doric tetrastyle portico; deep string-coursed entablature. Narrow windows flank doorway, slightly wider windows in outer bays; further single window in E gable (facing road); 4- and 12-pane glazing. 3 centre short corniced stacks; shallow piended slate roof. Small later rear lean-to addition. INTERIOR: simple 2-roomed interior.
There was a medieval bridge at Boat of Brig built by Muriel
de Polloc, the tolls supporting the hospital of St Nicholas
site nearby. Bridge re-placed by ferry-boat. Suspension
bridge designed and executed by Captain Samuel Brown RN,
opened 3 December, 1830; together with the tollhouse, it was
financed by Col Grant of Grant (Seafield Estates), Mr Richard
Wharton Duff of Orton and Mr P Steuart of Auchlunkart.
'Remarkably handsome' tollhouse where 'very moderate pontage'
Tollhouse of unusually grandoise design.
Suspension bridge superseded by present bridge in 1952.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.
ELGIN COURIER, 19 February, 3 and 10 December 1830. ABERDEEN
JOURNAL, 9 December 1830. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii
(1834), pp. 365-6. J R Gray, ROTHES PAST AND PRESENT (1954),
p. 27. Scottish Record Office GD/248/1564/80.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.