ARNDILLY HOUSE (Ref:2314)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 2904 4710.
Circa 1770, additions William Robertson, Elgin, 1826; re-modelled 1850, architect Thomas MacKenzie, Elgin. Tall 3-storey and attic, wide 3-bay S facing mansion with single storey rear wings enclosing narrow service court closed at N by long single storey and loft N facing stable range. Mixed granite rubble, tooled granite ashlar dressings to all mid-18th century work; polished sandstone ashlar dressings to 1850 re-modelling.
1850 centre entrance under round-headed arch with radial fanlight and flanked by similar shaped aproned windows, all linked by continuous moulded shaped cornice. Entrance fronted by 1850 arcaded and keystoned balustraded porte-cochere supporting ornamental urns. Centre projecting canted 1st and 2nd floor window (1850); full-heigh circa 1770 canted projecting windows at E and W gables, at W fronted by substantial 1850 circular terrace built over single storey drum shaped wing containing cool store; terrace reched by curved balustraded stair built against S face of curved wall.
Small square angle and front wallhead turrets with ogee slated roofs, shaped centre wallhead gablet, shaped end gables and pedimented dormer windows, all dating from 1850; multi-pane glazing.
Dated 1850 rainwater goods; paired heightened ridge stacks; slate roofs.
Circa 1770 rear central stair turret terminating in shallow pyramidal roof and flanked at NE by 3-storey, single bay wing (probably 1826).
Rear arched entrance to service court through stable block; low coped wall encloses rear stable court.
INTERIOR: simple entrance hall leading to circular rear stairhall with fine circular cantilevered staircase rising full 2-storey height. Moulded underside to stairs; turned wooden balusters and wooden handrail, shaped at 1st floor landing. Pair shallow round-headed niches ground and 1st
Principal public rooms at 1st floor level:-
DRAWING ROOM: W facing room with fine circa 1770 plaster ceiling with ornate angle urns and deep cornice; fielded panelled window shutters and doors, the later with carved overdoors decorated with shell detailing. Somewhat altered white marble chimneypiece with yellow marble inlay.
DINING ROOM: 1850 glazed mural cupboards with moulded surrounds and angle rosettes.
SITTING ROOM: E facing room with 1850 compartmented plaster ceiling; panelled doors and window shutters; carved chimneypiece.
Inscribed Pictish stone (Scheduled Ancient Monument No 348) incorporated in masonry in W gable, said to have been built into wall of former church of Arndilly. Arndilly the seat of the MacDowall Grants in 18th and 19th centuries. Rainwater goods initialled H McD G (Hay MacDowall Grant).
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1794-5, Witherington and Grant ed. 1982), p. 93.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1834 and 1842), pp. 364, 366.
ABERDEEN JOURNAL, 20 September 1826.
THE BUILDER, 18 November 1854.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.