DUFFUS OLD PARISH CHURCH (PETER KIRK), PARISH CROSS, MORTHOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:2307)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 1751 6865.
CHURCH: rectangular roofless church incorporating medieval
fabric, with base of 14th century tower at W gable and 16th
century porch at SW. Building remodelled and re-cast for
Presbyterian worship in earlier 18th century, probably 1739.
Rubble, ashlar dressings and margins.
4 earlier 18th century long square-headed windows light S
of hoodmould. Ribbed vaulted interior with centre boss.
elevation with single small gallery window in each outer bay
Entrance to church within porch closed by nail studded
and W gable. Centre rear forestair (to former gallery) and
double leaf plank door with hand wrought handle date 1739.
second forestair at E gable (leading to former laird's loft).
Various mural tablets set in church walls, both within and
Bellcote (probably 1739) at W gable apex.
without; also re-used fragments of carved stonework.
TOWER: base of tower at W gable with long pointed-headed
PARISH CROSS: probably 14th century. Tall, tapering stone
lancet window; vaulted interior.
shaft, square with chamfered angles; decorative carved band
PORCH: pointed-headed entrance with simple nook shafts,
near top; worn head. Original stepped stone base.
stylised quatrefoil detailing decorates moulding above
MORTHOUSE: dated 1830. Simple rectangular morthouse. Harl
imposts, stylised ball-flower ornamentation on upper edge
pointed rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.
Entrance in S gable with dated and inscribed roundel above
lintel; squat apex finial, end stack at N.
BURIAL GROUND: walled burial ground. Various burial
enclosures including 18th century Dunbar enclosure; 17th,
18th, 19th century and subsequent tombstones.
Guardianship Monument. Scheduled Ancient Monument No 90106.
Church disused since 1869 when
it was superseded by new parish church.
Fine tombstones, particularly those dating from 18th century.
Morthouse roundel inscribed 'Mort House 1830'.
Anon, SURVEY OF THE PROVINCE OF MORAY (1798), p.125.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1835), p.41. Gordon Childe and
W Douglas Simpson, ANCIENT MONUMENTS, vi (Scotland: 1967),
p.107. J W Small, SCOTTISH MARKET CROSSES (1900), p1.101.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.