DRUMMUIR CASTLE (Ref:2296)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 371 441.
Thomas MacKenzie, 1846-7, additions Alexander Reid (A and W Reid), Elgin, 1865. Rainwater goods dated 1847 and 1865. Picturesque turreted castellated mansion, mainly of 3 storeys over raised basement with SW garden front and NE entrance elevation. Coursed rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Asymmetrical NE front with entrance fronting square 3-storey tower and masked at ground by substantial porte-cochere, itself with large Gothic traceried window and angle turrets. Main outer ranges terminate with angle turrets rising above wallhead and with projecting library window at left of main entrance; 2-storey service range and service court linked to main frontage by single storey, 4-bay block; 2 17th century Duff armorials re-set in wall of service court. Picturesque 7-bay SW garden front somewhat regularised in 1865 by raising W portion to 3 storeys. Advanced centre bay with projecting canted window rising 2 storeys above raised basement; shallow Tudor- arched lintels to raised basement windows in SW and NW elevations; hoodmoulded 1st floor fenestration; square or horizontal multi-pane glazing. One drum and one corbelled octagonal angle drum-tower. Hoodmoulded ground floor fenestration; corbelled and crenellated wallheads; batteries of tall coped stacks; slate roofs. INTERIOR: double-leafed studded entrance door with applied Gothic detailing leading to octagonal vestibule with lierne ribbed ceiling and central boss, angle niches under cusped canopies; glazed door to stair hall with cusped detailing and cusped fanlight. Also entrance left to billiard room. STAIRHALL: top lit under 3-storey tower. Broad staircase with cusped moulded wooden balustrade; compartmented boarded ceiling with armorial bosses. LIBRARY: white marble chimneypiece; later cast-iron grate; later 19th century bookcases. DRAWING-ROOM: cusped panelled dado, doors, window shutters all white painted with gold detailing. Very unusual white and gold wallpaper (1847) reproduced and replaced 1988; cusped panelled white marble chimneypiece; decorative plaster ceiling. BOUDOIR (between drawing- and dining-rooms): small octagonal room with surviving 1847 white and gold decoration; panelled fittings as in drawing-room. DINING-ROOM: green and gold painted cusped panelled dado, doors; shutters; monogrammed doors; original Celtic scrolled wallpaper (1847); decorative plaster ceiling; French windows to garden (later enlargement of window). 1ST FLOOR LANDING: arcaded landing surrounds open central square balustraded void (under tower), each side supported by paired Tudor arches with Tudor rose motif in spandrels.
Castle built by Admiral Archibald Duff at cost of $10,000, 1846-7.
The vestibule and stairhall pay striking homage to those at Taymouth Castle, the influence on Drummuir appearing to be direct.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88
THE BUILDER, November 18, 1854, obituary Thomas MacKenzie.
Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND i (1882), p. 181.
A and H Taylor, THE BOOK OF THE DUFFS ii (1914), p. 365.
Further information by courtesy the present owner and family papers.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.