DARNAWAY CASTLE AND TERRACES (Ref:2283)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
Dyke And Moy Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 994 550.
Alexander Laing, dated 1802-12, mansion on site of earlier castle and fronting re-cased mid 15th century Randolph's Hall. Castellated N facing 3 and 4-storey rectangular 11-bay mansion with Randolph's hall projecting at rear to form T-plan. Further single storey kitchen range of varied height extends at W. Tooled red sandstone ashlar, polished ashlar dressings. Outer and centre 3 bays slightly advanced, the centre block rising to 4 storeys. Centre entrance in raised ground floor in N front reached by balustraded perron (1870) linked to balustraded screen wall masking raised basement. Entrance porch flanked by engaged columns linked by balustrade with coat of arms. Storeys delineated by band courses and all windows (except raised basement) hoodmoulded (pointed headed in centre 3 bays raised ground and 1st floors) and linked by cill bands. Corbelled and crenellated wallhead with dummy angle bartizans; piended platform slate and lead roofs. RANDOLPH'S HALL: 3 long Y-traceried windows with stained glass light E and W elevations. Further window in S gable; crenellated wallhead matching frontage; steeply pitched slate roof. KITCHEN: extensive single storey kitchen range lit by pointed-and square-headed windows (the former with intersecting tracery); clock tower with open cupola above clock stage capped by leaded multi-facetted leaded dome with 4 diminutive louvred lucarnes and weathervane finial. Service court enclosed by high buttressed wall (1920). INTERIOR: Entrance hall with ornate plaster frieze and 4 marbled columns; marble chimneypiece with swagged detailing. Entrance hall leads direct to RANDOLPH'S HALL with mid 15th century hammer beam roof; re-modelled 1802-12 and circa 1900. MIRRORED E AND W STAIRHALLS AND STAIRCASES linked at raised ground floor and 1st floor by long corridors with intermediate arches. Ornate cast-iron balustrade to staircases with lion's head detailing; decorative plaster ceiling to stairwell. DRAWING ROOM: white marble chimneypiece; plaster frieze with anthemion and urn decoration. DINING ROOM: screen of marbled columns separates sideboard recess; grey marble chimneypiece with fluted columns and swagged frieze. KITCHEN linked to dining room by colonaded passage. TERRACES: wide raised balustraded terrace encloses area fronting main entrance to castle. Further balustraded terracing at E.
In 1314 King Robert the Bruce erected his lands in Moray into
an Earldom and bestowed it on his nephew Thomas Randolph.
Earldom reverted to Crown 1455 and in 1501 James IV granted
it to his illegitimate son, James Stuart. Various similar
vicissitudes and subsequent reversals to Crown. 1580 James VI
granted Earldom to James Stewart heir to Stewarts of Doune
who married Lady Elizabeth, daughter of deceased Earl of
Moray, and family descended through that line to present
time. Kitchen clock tower originally designed as water tower.
Clock installed circa 1950, having been removed from
Kinfauns, Perthshire, after Moray Estates disposed of that
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xx (1798), p. 224. NEW STATISTICAL
ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p. 22.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 64-70.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTLAND i (1887), pp. 304-6. Howard Colvin, A
BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1978), p.
500. Moray Estate Papers and National Monuments Record of
Scotland. Further information by courtesy, Moray Estates.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.