MOY HOUSE AND GATEPIERS (Ref:2275)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
Dyke And Moy Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 1517 5997.
Colin (Collen) Williamson (of Dyke) 1752 and 1762. John Adam,
1762-3. Alexander Ross, 1870.
3-storey mid 18th century classical mansion with E and W
5-bay elevations; flanking early-mid 18th century lower
3-storey wings project at E forming U-plan court; further
irregular 2-storey 1870 gabled ranges N and S.
Centre 3-storey, 5-bay block cherry-pointed squared tooled
ashlar with simulated cherry-pointing over harled rubble at
raised basement, W front. Harled rubble elsewhere, except
tooled rubble to 1870 work. Tooled and polished ashlar
W FRONT: centre porticoed entrance in narrow centre bay
approached by flight of steps oversailing raised basement;
round-headed entrance flanked by side lights with engaged
Roman Doric columns supporting cornice; Venetian landing
window above with Ionic columns and deep moulded entablature;
naive mask to keystone.
E FRONT: symmetrical 3-storey, 5-bay frontage with entrance
in centre of raised basement and 3-bay advanced flanking
wings (wings 1752 or earlier), each with blocked entrance in
re-entrant angle. Round-headed centre door under corniced
doorpiece with flanking thin engaged Ionic columns. Long
centre 1st floor window (window possibly lengthened at later
date to accommodate balcony, now disappeared). Symmetrical
2-window return gables to earlier wings.
Low 2nd storey with small windows to both portions of 18th
century mansion; 6-, 9-, 12- and 15-pane (some 2-pane
replacements in frontage) glazing with some thick astragals
and some blind windows; flat skews with moulded underside and
run-off skewputts to earlier wings; moulded eaves cornice to
centre 1862-3 block. Coped and necked end and wallhead stacks
to earlier wings; corniced twin ridge stacks to centre block.
Gabled and piended slate roofs. 1870 additions with 2-pane
glazing; canted bay window in E front; gabled and slated
Service court at S flanked by pair rusticated ashlar
gatepiers with ball finials (1 missing). Court linked at S
to 2-storey service buildings with 3-bay S front and
forestair at E gable leading to 1st floor dwelling and
round-headed entrance with flanking lights.
INTERIOR OF MAIN HOUSE: cantilevered stone staircase with
moulded risers and underside and decorative cast-iron
balusters. Moulded stairhall ceiling.
FORMER DINING ROOM: centre door from landing with corniced
overdoor (to landing) and pedimented overdoor to room;
fielded panelled doors and window shutters; carved overmantel
with modern grate.
FORMER DRAWING ROOM: ornate plaster centre ceiling rose and
moulded cornice; fielded panelled doors with moulded
surrounds; carved wooden overmantel to original grate with
marble slip and black enamel surround with brass insets with
portraits of King (?George III) and Prince of Wales; panelled
2nd floor centre bedroom with heavy lugged doorpiece to half
2 vaulted wine cellars in raised basement; guilloche moulded
ceiling cornice in ground floor SW room (former 'low dining
room'); fielded panelling to other doors and window shutters.
GATEPIERS: pair square rusticated ashlar gatepiers with
moulded cornices supporting ball finials flank 2 entrance at
House stands on old site. Burial ground (probably earlier
Moy church site) to E.
Outer wings of 18th century house may be 'House of Moy built
by Collen Williamson', 1752 flanking 'auld house' demolished
for $5 and replaced by J Adam centre block. Alternative
designs by Robert Adam prepared in 1759 but rejected in
favour of those of his brother John, 1762-3.
Moy was Campbell of Cawdor property, acquired by Major George
Grant in 1733, rebuilt by Sir Ludovic Grant of Castle Grant
1762-3. Passed to Grants of Shewglie (Glenurquhart) and
Glenmorriston. Various owners since 1922.
Entrance at E side of house of importance for it served the
approach by ferry over the Findhorn at Broom of Moy, from
where all travellers from E would have crossed and approached
house. Findhorn bridged in 1799-1800 when carriage traffic
could cross river and therefore use W approach to house.
Domestic ice house sited W of mansion.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p. 223. J and W Watson,
MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 109-10. National Monuments
Record. Scottish Record Office. RHP 38229, 9060. SRO Seafield
Papers. Sir William Burrell, A TOUR (1758), p. 27. (National
Library of Scotland MS 2911). Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL
DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840, (1978), P. 46.
Estate map of Moy, 1776 Moray District Record Office DGSP1.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.