GRANARY STREET, TELFORD HOUSE FLATS 1, 2, 3 AND 4 (Ref:22747)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 31/05/1974.
Group Items: 7, 8, 9,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NJ 108 691.
Circa 1810. 4-storey, 5-bay SW facing (to harbour) warehouse built into side of hill with raised 1st floor access at rear to Granary Street. Tooled rubble, tooled ashlar dressings.Harbour frontage with centre round-headed keystoned entrance and similar loading door above (now blocked). Regular fenestration (mostly blocked) with small loft windows in upper storey.Rear: 3-storey, 3-bay rear, with centre 1st floor entrance (blocked) reached by stone forestair. Widened ground floor entrance.Coped end stacks; slate roof; stone ridge.
Burghead harbour, in its present form, dates its development from 1805 onwards, for the passage of grain, potatoes, timber, manures, coal and, in mid 19th century, as a fishing port. The warehouses would have been for the storage of incoming and outgoing goods.
Upgraded: B to A 24.3.88
List description updated 2010 following information from the local authority that the building has been converted into four flats. Statutory address previously read, "94 Granary Street Warehouse (facing N Quay)".
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 287-8.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.