BUCKIE, ST ANDREWS SQUARE, ST PETER'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, PRESBYTERY AND ENCLOSING WALLS (Ref:22720)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 419 653.
Bishop James Kyle and A and W Reid, architects, Elgin, 1850-57: chancel, alter and baptistry, C T Menart, architect, Glasgow, 1907. Large Gothic church with twin towered W front. Red sandstone, contrasting tooled ashlar dressings. W FRONT: centre gable flanked by 2-stage squared towers with set back buttresses, louvred plate traceried windows in upper stage, angle pinnacles and tall facetted spires with lucarnes at base. Central pointed-headed recessed entrance with moulded reveals, nook shafts and trumeau; paired cusped doorways wtih plank doors; blind quatrefoil in tympanum. Large 4-light geometric traceried window above fills centre gable. 5-bay aisled nave lit by triple pointed-headed clerestory lights. Slightly lower chancel lit by similar but longer triple lights in N and S elevations with gable rose window at E. Gable end cross finials; slate roofs. INTERIOR: richly decorated aisled interior; pointed-headed aisle arcades supported by diamond plan piers. Multicoloured marble inlay decorates chancel and reredos; pulpit with carved Gothic wooden backboard and sounding board; plain marble dado in nave. Stations of the Cross with carved wooden frames; simple wooden pews; scissor brace roof. Ornate war memorial at rear of church. PRESBYTERY: 2-storey and attic, wide 2-bay house at NE of church. Red sandstone, contrasting tooled ashlar dressings. Slightly advanced gable bay with narrow shouldered lintel to entrance with panelled door tripartite at left. 3 narrow 1st floor windows, single canted dormer. Multi-pane glazing. Coped ridge and wallhead stacks; slate roof. ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: church and presbystery surrounded by high coped rubble wall. Church fronted by low coped wall with spearhead railings with matching carriage gates flanked by square gatepiers with simple caps and plain overthrow.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. With its unusual twin towers, visible for many miles from
land and sea, this church has long been known locally as
'The Buckie Cathedral'.
Rose window in chancel re-used from 1850-57 E gable.
ELGIN COURANT, 13 Sept 1850 and 31 Jan 1851. BANFFSHIRE
ADVERTISER, 31 Oct 1907.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.