DYKE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), CHURCH HALL, (FORMER MAUSOLEUM), BURIAL GROUND AND WAR MEMORIAL GATE ARCH (Ref:2269)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
Dyke And Moy Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 9900 5841.
CHURCH: James Smith (Nairn) and James Smith (Auldearn) with Colin Williamson, (extra contractor), 1781. Renovated 1952.
Rectangular church with symmetrical 6-bay S front elevation. Pinned rubble front, rubble flanks and rear; tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Wide square-headed entrances surmounted by tall round-headed keystoned windows in outer bays with 4 similar full length windows filling centre 4 bays; smaller gallery window in W gable only. All fenestration with blocked imposts, shutter hinges and multi-pane glazing.
Birdcage bellcote at W gable apex, ball finial at E. Slate roof with 2 ridge ventilators.
INTERIOR: original layout; gallery now ceiled. 3-decker pulpit in centre of S wall flanked by stairs with slender balusters (sounding board survives above present ceiling). 5-sided panelled gallery front with (1952) pews grouped around pulpit in ground floor and gallery. Entrance doors fitted with long iron hinges on inner face. 1613 tombstone re-set in SW entrance lobby; 1790 mural memorial under gallery.
CHURCH HALL: adapted from early-mid 18th century rectangular burial mausoleum, probably accommodated in earlier church aisle, linked to E gable of church by narrow corridor incorporating Gothic gabled porch (1855-60) presenting, with hall, a S facing irregular double gabled frontage. Tooled front, harl pointed rubble elsewhere with some re-used margins and ashlar dressings.
Mid 18th century, naive classical doorpiece flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting entablature and extended bracketted cornice (possibly Colin Williamson of Dyke). Blind hoodmoulded Y-tracery window above doorpiece (probably re-used); later 19th century apex finial and skewputts at S; early 18th century run-off skewputts at rear.
3 narrow square-headed irregularly spaced windows in E elevation with chamfered or roll-moulded jambs, closed with iron bars and later lattice-pane glazing.
INTERIOR: mausoleum converted as hall and vestry (1948) and linked to church by corridor. 1446 tombstone set in vestry wall. Entrance via Gothic gabled porch closed.
BURIAL GROUND: dry stone walled burial ground surrounds church. 18th and 19th century tombstones.
WAR MEMORIAL GATE ARCH: Dr P MacGregor-Chalmers, 1921-22. Tooled rubble, tooled ashlar dressings; round-headed arch under gabled overthrow with apex cross and niche containing sword and laurel wreath. Short coped quadrants and double wooden gates. Inscribed plaques to dead of 1914-18 and 1939-45 flank gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. 1613 tombstone in entrance lobby erected to Walter Kinnaird and Elizabeth Innes of Culbin. Inscribed 'The Builders of this Stane, Are Laird and Lady Coubine, Qhilk (which) twa and Thairs, When Braith is gone, pleise God, Vil sleep this bed within'.
Gabled porch flanking church hall contains memorial to Lt Col James Pattulo Brodie, died in Crimea (War) Sept 1855.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xx (1798), pp. 210-11.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), pp. 221-2.
FORRES GAZETTE 31 Oct 1866, (description of 1446 tombstone) 15 Feb 1922 (war memorial).
George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES, 1600-1843 (1957), pp. 80, 186, 187.
A J Howat and M Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 18.
Various authors, DYKE CHURCH BI-CENTENERY BOOK (1981).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.