BRODIE CASTLE (Ref:2260)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
Dyke And Moy Parish.
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 9795 5777.
Tower-house with Scottish Baronial alterations and additions. Substantial mansion dating variously from 1567 to 1852. Additions of 1824 by William Burn, completed by James Wylson, circa 1840-1852. Restored 1978-80. Mainly 3-storeys, roughly L-plan incorporating original 16th century Z-plan tower.
Harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
Main S elevation incorporates at W 1567 tower house with earlier 17th century addition; cap-house, crenellated corbelled wallhead, water spouts and decorative gablets to dormer windows. Entrance in re-entrant angle with projecting stair turret rising from 1st floor terminating with slender conical roof.
Gabled E portion of 1824-52 with wide 5-bay return E garden front with projecting outer gables. Hoodmoulded, mullioned and transomed fenestration, canted windows, shaped and crowstepped gables. 5-bay single storey and attic wing with similar fenestration extends at right angles at NE. Varied glazing; coped end, wallhead and ridge stacks; slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, James Wylson, circa 1845 adaption of earlier vaulted undercroft; stumpy (circa 1845) columns with foliated capitals; re-set inscribed stone plaques.
LIBRARY: circa 1845, lined with wooden bookcases under continuous egg and dart frieze.
BLUE SITTING ROOM: vaulted ceiling with embossed plaster motifs and strapwork of 1635-40.
RED DRAWING ROOM: originally 1st floor hall of 1567 castle re-decorated 1820's by William Burn; groined plaster ceiling; ornate panelled chimneypiece with carved figures rising to ceiling height.
DINING ROOM: former 1st floor hall of 17th century wing. Late 17th century heavily embossed ceiling, grained and stained circa 1825. Panelling and doors also grained.
DRAWING ROOM: William Burn, 1824 with painted decoration on architraves, over-doors and ceiling probably dating from 1860's (restored 1982).
BEST BED CHAMBER: 17th century plaster ceiling frieze and corner motifs.
1567 castle built by Alexander Brodie, 12th Brodie of Brodie, descended from Malcolm, Thane of Brodie (d.1285). Castle continuously in possession of Brodie family until handed over to National Trust for Scotland, by Ninian, 25th Brodie, in 1980 after purchase through Land Fund by SDD.
Celtic stone with cross and interlacing patterns, sited at E entrance of park, a Scheduled Monument (Rodney's Stone).
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p.221-2.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp.52-4.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND iv (1892), pp.93-4.
Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1978), p.163.
Christopher Hartley and John Cornforth, 'Brodie Castle, Moray', COUNTRY LIFE, Aug. 7 and 14, 1980.
BRODIE CASTLE GUIDE BOOK, Nat. Trust for Scotland, (1983).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.