GORDONSTOUN, MICHAEL KIRK (ST MICHAEL'S OGSTOUN) BURIAL GROUND AND WALLS, CROSS (Ref:2242)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 193 690.
MICHAEL KIRK: dated 1705, restored and interior refurbished,
John Kinross, 1900-01. Gothic. Ashlar. Small 3-bay church
with large pointed windows with elaborate Y-tracery in E and
W gables. Centre S door with flanking windows; reveals with
half-round and fillet moulding decorated with stairs and
roses; flanking windows with Y-tracery and deeply moulded
architraves; continuous string course dropped under cills.
Square clear glass quarries; flat moulded skews; steeply
pitched West Highland slate roof with stone ridge and apex
INTERIOR: panelled throughout, 1900-01. Various mural
memorials including that to Sir Robert Gordon, died 1704
(possibly carved by John Faid, Elgin), and previous and
subsequent Gordons and Gordon Cummings. Chequered black and
white marble floor.
BURIAL GROUND: surrounded by simple stone walls with low,
coped, square dressed rubble gatepiers to E and W entrances;
western gatepiers have inset re-used 17th century carved
CROSS: market cross type; tall, rectangular shaft with
chamfered and stopped angles; incised hammer mark; hole
probably for jougs; small star shaped finial with centre
hole; stands on simple square stone plinth.
Ecclecisiastical building in use as such in the charge of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Built by Dame Elizabeth Dunbar as a mausoleum in memory
of her husband, Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. Restored by
Lady (Florence) Gordon Cumming for use during her family's
summer residences at Gordonstoun from Altyre (Forres). Now
used as chapel for Gordonstoun School.
Altar moved to W end of church to increase seating
Parish of Ogstoun united with that of Kineddar in 1669 as
parish of Drainie. Old Drainie Church (1673); New Drainie
Church (1821, Gillespie Graham) dem. 1923. Ogstoun also
served as market site.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTLAND, ii (1897) pp.554-57. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE
OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) pp. 39, 52, 111.
Edward Lightowler THE MICHAEL KIRK AND ITS HISTORICAL
BACKGROUND (1980). THE ELGIN COURANT AND COURIER, 19 Feb
1901. Report of re-consecration of Michael Kirk. R Douglas,
MARKET AND OTHER CROSSES (N.D.) p.10. Agnes Keith, THE PARISH
OF DRAINIE AND LOSSIEMOUTH (1975), pp. 118-121, 187, 209.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.