CULLEN OLD CHURCH (PARISH CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:2218)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 507 663.
Cruciform church of various builds, incorporating 13th century choir and nave (now E and W aisles), S aisle added 1536, 16th century chancel and probably 18th century N aisle. Vestry added in NE re-entrant angle in 1967. Rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Entrances to church in centre of W and N gables; also in S elevation of chancel; blocked round-headed entrance in SW; forestair in S wall of W aisle. Pointed-headed window with intersecting tracery in E gable; Y-traceried windows in S wall of chancel; 4-light window in S gable of 1536 S aisle; various other windows mainly with lattice-pane glazing. 18th century bird cage bellcote at W gable apex; various cross apices; Banffshire slate roofs. Interior: pulpit and communion table at central crossing; galleries in W and N aisles with late 19th century stencilled detailing. Laird's loft, dated 1602, in S side of E aisle reached by staircase with silhouette balusters and supported by columns framed by re-used late 16th and early 17th century pew ends and panels from former pews (2 panels dated 1590 and 1608 respectively). Circa 1550 Sacrament House surmounted by carved panel with pair of angels holding monstrance and with Latin text from John vi, 54-6. Ornate richly carved circa 1554 Ogilvie tombs also in N wall of chancel; cusped ogee arch surmounts wall tomb with recumbant knight, flanked by shafts enclosing canopy with decorative cresting and containing 2 roundels with carved figures; front of tomb divided into 8 cusped panels, each containing figure. S AISLE: former St Anne's chapel said to have been founded by Elena Hay in 1536; round-headed mural niche with recumbant figure thought to be Elena Hay's son; carved front to tomb with 2 panels depicting knights on horseback. Also mural memorials to Earl of Seafield (killed 1914), Mia, Countess of Seafield (widow) and Nina, Countess of Seafield (1906-1969). Various other mural memorials including granite plaque erected to memory of Rev. John Guthrie, Minister of Cullen 1937-1986. Stained glass in E window by Aitken of Aberdeen, 1933. Burial ground: high rubble walls enclose church and burial ground. Entrance at E flanked by pair tooled rubble gatepiers surmounted by ball finials; pair spearhead cast-iron carriage gates. Incised slab depicting knight in armour dated 1414 sited by W doorway; 17th, 18th and 19th century tomb stones; small Seafield burial enclosure.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Church known to have existed in 1236. S aisle added by Elena
Hay in 1536 and dedicated to St Anne; became a collegiate
church in 1543 with 6 prebendaries and 2 singing boys to sing
mass 'decently and in order every day'.
Church was the centre of the old kirkton of Cullen until
1820-30 when township removed to present 'new town' of
Cullen and the manse, which had been close by, rebuilt
in Seafield Place in 1830.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTLAND iii (1897), pp. 398-405. Rt Rev Mgr. David McRoberts
'SCOTTISH SACRAMENT HOUSES', TRANSACTIONS OF THE SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY, vi, part III (1965), pp.33-56. John
Guthrie, CULLEN AULD KIRK (1967)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.