DRYMEN ROAD, 22 CARRICK ARDEN (Ref:22146)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 17/01/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 54823 71301.
Circa 1855 with later additions to rear. Sophisticated 2-storey villa, asymmetrical composition, Free Italian with mixed Renaissance and Romanesque motifs. South and west fronts polished ashlar. South elevation has advanced gable to left with shallow rectangular tripartite bay, pilastered with bracketted wooden cornice at entablature. First floor arched bipartite with columnar mullion and circled tracery under inband and outband voussoirs. Painted wooden portico to right, 2 bays shouldered lintels coupled columns, and bracketted cornice with elegant iron balustrade over. Shouldered openings within, door with fanlight, and stained glass window with corbelled sill to right; first floor shouldered window in moulded architrave to left and arched window with bracketted canopied held above eaves on right. Single-storey ashlar kitchen wing to right, with 2 niches. West elevation similar but with canted bay to left and conservatory to right, semi-octagonal with arch headed lights and domical roof with clerestorey. North elevation plain snecked rubble, stepped building and roof lines, similar canted bay at central section. Later glazed passage with 3 raised gablets from bay to billiard room at north east corner. Low pitched slated roof, with broad boarded eaves and pendants, piended at back. Corniced shaped ashlar stacks with original chimney pots. Single-storey billiard room to north, with tripartites on east and west sides, flattish slated roof with wide over-hang and boarded eaves. Good interior with painted arabesque (partly stencilled) drawing room ceiling (dining room formerly similarly treated) and elaborate plasterwork. Morning room partly panelled with built-in fittings.
Dated envelope 1857 found in chimney flue. Built by Mr John Henderson, ship owner - see monogram in internal stained glass window. Walled garden north wall and part of green house survives. Brick offices on north side of wall with oarde sadlery room etc.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.