NEW KILPATRICK PARISH CHURCH, BEARSDEN (Ref:22130)
This building is in the East Dunbartonshire Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5432 7227.
Built 1807, and thrice enlarged in following 20 years. Large crowstepped structure, roughly cruciform on plan, interior galleries on 3 sides. Churchyard contains interesting monuments including mausoleum of Campbells of Succoth.
INTERIOR: includes wealth of stained glass; Stephen Adam and Alf Webster, Henderson Memorial window, circa 1912; Daniel Cottier (with McCulloch and Gow) Good Samaritan Window, 1884; J T and C E Stewart, Crossing the Bar window; 2 windows, Robert Anning Bell (Guthrie and Wells); Norman MacLeod MacDougall, lancet window; 3 windows by Douglas Strachan; more modern windows by Gordon Webster and Eildith Keith.
New Kilpatrick Cemetery is situated to the east of church and churchyard described here, at some distance, and contains fragments of the Antonine Wall. The stained glass windows are of exceptional importance, covering over a century of Scottish design in this field, and account for the Cat A listing. They are seen by experts to be comparable to those at St John's Kirk, Perth, and Trinity Parish Church, St Andrews. The collection maps the development of the Stephen Adam/Alf Webster partnership. It includes the earliest known ecclesiastical window by McCulloch & Gow for Daniel Cottier, significant work by J T and C E Stewart, and work by Robert Anning Bell, Norman MacLeod MacDougall, Gordon Webster, Eildith Keith and Douglas Strachan. The 3-light window by C E Stewart of Tennyson's Crossing the Bar is a later re-use of a destroyed design by J T Stewart at Leslie Church Pollokshields, circa 1904, and is executed in Stewart's particular hydrofloric acid technique.
Upgraded B to A July 2001.
NMRS. Groome's Gazetteer. Vol IV. pp383-4 3rd Statistical Account, page 278. NSA Vol iii pp41-46. Information courtesy of Michael Donnelly.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.