KIRKTON OF DESKFORD, OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:2209)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 5088 6166.
Roofless rubble rectangular church orientated to E; entrance
in centre of W gable and further entrances and windows,
some of 17th or early 18th century date, in S elevation.
Bellcote at W gable.
Sacrament house dated 1551 at extreme E end of N wall
rising full-height of wall, depicting pair of angels
displaying monstrance above small square aumbry enclosed
in ogee-headed carved moulding with inscription below, the
outer border carved in raised grapevine design. Mural
memorial dated 1658 and 2 mural tombstones dated 1613 and
1717; also 2 ogee-headed piscinae.
Coped rubble walled burial ground with 18th, 19th and 20th
century tombstones. Paired square ashlar piers flank N
entrance with moulded flat caps; pair simple cast-iron
Guardianship Monument. Church declared 'rather small' in 1836, and superseded by present parish church in 1871. Richly decorated sacrament house amongst the finest of its kind. It bears the arms of Alexander Ogilvie and Elizabeth Gordon with the inscription 'This pnt (present) lovable vark (work) of sacrement hous maid to honor and loving of God be ane noble man Alexander Ogilvie of that IIk and Elizabeth Gordon his spovs the year of God 1551'. Also immediately below the aumbry the text, in Latin, from St John vi 'I am the living bread which came from heaven; whoever eateth of this bread shall live for ever'. Scheduled monument.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1790-1, Witherington and Grant
ed. vol. xvi, 1982), pp. 137-8. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii
(1836), p.68. Rt Rev Mgr David MacRoberts, 'Scottish
Sacrament House', TRANSACTIONS OF THE SCOTTISH ECCLESIOLOGICAL
SOCIETY, vol xv, part 3, (1965), pp. 51, 56.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.