Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

EDINKILLIE HOUSE (FORMER EDINKILLIE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND MANSE) (Ref:2188)

This building is in the Moray Council and the Edinkillie Parish. It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NJ 020 465.

Description

John Paterson, Edinburgh, 1823. S facing 2-storey, butterfly

plan house with single storey outer wings. Harled with tooled

ashlar margins. 2-storey demi-octagonal centre bay projects

S (drawing room) and N (porch with side entrance), flanked

either side by 2-bays with further single bay end wings

returning to make shallow rear court.

Regular fenestration with slightly shorter 1st floor windows,

and centre 1st floor window in rear. 12-pane glazing

throughout; paired coped ridge stacks and coped end stacks;

shallow piended slate roof with projecting eaves.

INTERIOR: circular entrance hall leading to round drawing

room with beaded panelled window shutters and curved beaded

panelled door.

Similar beaded window shutters and beaded doors (curved again

in 1st floor round centre bedroom) throughout house.

Staircase at W side of house with cast-iron balusters with

palmette detailing and curved wooden handrail.

Kitchen in E single storey wing.

Notes

Original design included rustic verandah linking outer wings with centre porch. Former manse walled garden now the site of Edinkillie House caretaker's bungalow. Manse steading demolished circa 1975. Upgraded B to A 9.11.87

References

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p. 192. National Monument Record of Scotland

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).