EDINKILLIE PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), WATCH HOUSE AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:2187)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 1985 4657.
1741, renovated 1813. Simple rectangular church with long 6-
bay S elevation. Harled with ashlar margins and dressings. 3
irregular piended or gabled projections at rear, with
entrances in outer return re-entrant angles with window above,
and housing stairwell and vestry. Later single keystoned
oculus in outer bays. 6 square-headed symmetrical windows
in S elevation; round-headed keystoned gallery window with
block imposts lights each gable.
Multi-pane glazing; simple bellcote at W gable, finial at E;
slate roof. Mural memorial plaque at base of W gable.
INTERIOR: galleried interior to 3 sides, narrow at S and
largely infilled by 1941 organ. Panelled demi-octagonal
pulpit in centre S wall with similarly shaped sounding board;
panelled back-board with flanking fluted pilasters. Plain
pine pews; simple shallow panelling to gallery front; 1941
Simple pine dado to entrance passage accommodating re-set
stone armorial dated 166?6, initialled MD and with worn
WATCH HOUSE- early 19th century rubble hexagonal watch house
with centre door in N face and flanking windows; rear
wallhead stack; facetted local slate roof; apex ball finial.
Former manse garden wall abuts watch house each side.
BURIAL GROUND: drystone wall encloses burial ground; squat
round rubble piers flank entrance with round stone caps.
18th and 19th century tombstones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Re-set armorial in church initialled MD (Mark?) Dunbar with
Dunbar coat of arms. The Dunbars owned Dunphail castle during
16th, 17th and early 18th centuries.
Mural plaque and tomb at W gable to Sir Thomas Dick Lauder of Fountainhall and Relugas, author of 'An Account of the Great
Floods of August 1829' who died in Edinburgh 29th May 1848.
Fine row of Collection Ladles hang in entrance passage.
Communion table given in memory of Fl Lt Robert Bruce of
Glenerney, killed in action 1941.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xx (1792-3) Witherington and Grant
ed. vol. xvi (1982),, pp. 584-5. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii
(1842), p. 192. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1600-1843 (1957), pp. 79, 266.
Angus Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 19.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.