DUNPHAIL HOUSE (Ref:2171)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 010 478.
Dated 1828 and 1871. William Playfair, 1828-9 mansion,
enlarged 1833 and 1842; alterations 1871, re-modelled Ronald
Phillips and Partners, 1964-6. Irregular picturesque
Italianate 2-storey house of differing roof heights with
long elevations N and S, and 3-stage tower at W gable with
shallow pyramidal roof. Pinned rubble, polished and tooled
ashlar sandstone dressings.
N ENTRANCE FRONT: 5-bay block at W of range fronted by wide
single storey advanced porch with engaged Roman Doric
columns, balustrade and recessed segmental-headed entrance
sheltering glazed doors under radial fanlight. Further 4-bay
range extends from E gable (datestone of 1871) with centre
shallow porch blocked as window. Further extensive walled
service court to S closed by 2-storey service dwelling with
shallow pyramidal roof (1842).
S GARDEN FRONT: symmetrical wide 3-bay block at W with
recessed centre bay spanned by balcony with decorative
balustrade supported by paired pilasters and sheltering
glazed entrance similar to N. (Re-modelled 1964-6). Mural
sundial on S face of tower; monogrammed plaque at N.
S front extends E with round-headed ground floor windows
beneath lean-to roof supported by substantial buttresses
dividing each window bay with end single bay with segmental-
headed loggia and higher 1st floor with round-headed
tripartite and shallow pyramidal roof. Multi-pane glazing
(some horizontal); renewed ridge stacks; piended slate roofs,
at W with platform roof and modillioned eaves.
INTERIOR: mainly re-modelled in 1965-6. Entrance lobby leads
to wide corridor hall through centre of W range to garden
door and verandah. (?Re-used) panelling with niches and
bookcases; plaster decoration to ceiling, overdoors, panelled
doors and some fluted pilasters delineating panelling.
DRAWING ROOM: carved wooden chimneypiece; overdoor and
panelled door with decorative beading; shallow coffering to
DINING ROOM: simple moulded detailing to ceiling; corniced
overdoor; marble topped radiator grill replaces former
chimneypiece; beaded mahogony door; panelled dado.
NW SITTING ROOM: ('Boys Room); re-used panelling, delineated
on inner wall in 3 by fluted Ionic pilasters. Round-headed
keystoned detailing; lugged and carved wooden chimneypiece
with swagged detailing.
STAIRCASE: barley-sugar twist turned wooden balusters; square
end newels with carved swags in relief and urn finials.
Dunphail Castle and land originally owned by Cumins of
Altyre; passed through Dunbars of Westfield to Grants of
Grant; inherited by Gordon Cumming of Altyre and through
marriage of Major Cumming to Mary Bruce of Kinnaird (taking
name of Cumming Bruce).
Dunphail House built by L Cumming Bruce.
Small single arched bridge dated 1808, with Latin inscription commemorating Aemillae Lenox Cumming, E of mansion. Earlier
19th century octagonal garden pavilion with piended roof
Upgarded B to A 9.11.87
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), pp. 185-6. Thomas Dick
Lauder, AN ACCOUNT OF THE GREAT FLOODS OF 1829 (1830), pp.
64-7 (illustrated). J & W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED
(1868), pp. 70-2. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF
BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1978), p. 647. University of Edinburgh
Playfair Collection. Moray District Record Office, Forres
(plans). National Monuments Record of Scotland.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.