ST MARGARET'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND (Ref:20872)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 14/10/1976.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 271 431.
Alexander Ross, 1875-79. Gothic. Tall cruciform church
orientated E-W, with clerestory and narrow buttressed side
aisles. Pink tooled granite, contrasting tooled ashlar
ashlar dressings. Slightly lower chancel with transepts
at E; gabled porch at SW with pointed-headed entrance flanked
by polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capitals,
niche with statue of St Margaret above. Slender octagonal
belltower rises at angle of W gable with porch, bell chamber
lit by narrow louvred lancets and facetted spire with 4
triangular louvred lucarnes.
5-bay aisles lit by narrow paired cusped lights and nave
clerestory with similar triple windows. E gable of chancel
with long triple windows under stepped continuous hoodmould;
geometric tracery in W gable window. Angle buttresses;
steeply pitched slate roofs.
INTERIOR: lofty aisled interior with braced timber roof.
Aisle arcade supported by squat red Peterhead polished
granite columns rising from contrasting ashlar bases with
richly carved capitals depicting flowers, foliage and fruit.
Chancel approached by flight of steps; gilded wrought-iron
screen; richly decorated white marble altar and reredos;
stained glass chancel windows. Arcaded sedilia in chancel.
Stained glass in aisle windows by Baguley, Newcastle
1887-1909. Caen stone font with marble enrichment and
carved oak cover (cover from Christ Church, Lancaster Gate,
London, demolished 1977). Circular stone pulpit (1936,
Davidson of Inverness). Decorative encaustic tiles to floors
(Minton); various mural memorials.
BURIAL GROUND: partially walled burial ground surrounds church
with simple entrance flanked by tooled rubble gate piers.
3 grey granite foundation stones from Aberlour Orphanage
(demolished) set by entrance; war memorial to boys from
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Church built and partially financed by Miss Margaret
MacPherson Grant of Aberlour House who died before its
completion which was funded by William Grant of Elchies.
Upgraded B to A 9.11.87
Groome's ORDNANCE OF SCOTLAND i (1882), p.27. Donald
Finlay, SAINT MARGARET, ABERLOUR, BANFFSHIRE; A SHORT HISTORY
AND DESCRIPTION (1979).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.