PORT WILLIAM, HIGH STREET, PORT WILLIAM SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE (Ref:19580)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 11/11/1994.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3418 4344.
Post 1872; modern alterations and addition. School and adjoining schoolhouse. 2-storey L-plan house; tall single storey school adjoined to E. Squared and snecked whinstone masonry. Red sandstone ashlar dressings; chamfered margins; quoins; eaves and base courses. All
N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: HOUSE TO RIGHT: gable advanced to left, with ashlar apex finial; bipartite window to both floors and small square panel in gablehead to N; window at ground floor and window with gabled dormerhead at 1st floor to W return. Square-plan full-height porch, with swept pyramidal roof, in re-entrant angle to right; hoodmoulded door, with plate glass fanlight, to N; diminutive bipartite window above at 1st floor. SCHOOL TO LEFT: gabled porch at centre, with ashlar apex finial; door, with blinded fanlight and decorative iron hinges, to E return; hoodmoulded bipartite window and small square panel in gablehead to N. 2 bipartite windows to left. Modern low flat-roofed addition to right, between porch and advanced gabled of house; modern windows inserted in elevation above, one to right breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: bipartite window at ground floor; window at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: gable to right; tall transomed tripartite window; circular panel in gablehead. Modern addition adjoined to left and to left of gable. Plate glass glazing in sash and case windows to house. Modern glazing, with small-pane pattern, to school; 8-pane sash and case glazing to porch window. Red sandstone coped skews; moulded skewends. Red sandstone ashlar coped stacks; ridge between school and
house, gablehead to house. Red sandstone block detail to apex of E gable. Slightly graded large grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods. 2 axial ventilators. Several octagonal cans.
BOUNDARY AND GARDEN WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls; low wall, surmounted by modern railings, to playground to N.
Port William School is still in use as a school.
F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol V (1895) p 223.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.