PORT WILLIAM, HIGH STREET, BANK OF SCOTLAND, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:19578)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 11/11/1994.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3393 4349.
Later 19th century. 2-storey bank and bank house. Squared and coursed whin masonry. Cream sandstone ashlar dressings: rybated margins; quoins, with margin draft; band course between floors; eaves course at lintel level and eaves cornice; base course. Recessed aprons to all windows.N (BANK HOUSE ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Corniced and pilastered doorpiece at centre; modern panelled door, with deep plate glass fanlight. Regularly disposed fenestration; narrow window at centre at 1st floor; wider windows at ground floor.E (BANK ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, with 2 bays to left recessed. Corniced and pilastered doorpiece in bay to outer right. Regularly disposed fenestration. Variety of glazing in timber sash and case windows; 4-pane glazing at ground floor; 6-pane glazing at 1st floor. Pebble-dashed wallhead stacks to E and W. Piended platform roof. Octagonal cans.BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: low whin rubble walls, with red sandstone saddleback coping; surmounted by cast-iron fleur-de-lis railings. Red sandstone ashlar conical-capped octagonal gatepiers, one surmounted by ashlar ball.
This building is not marked on the OS Map of 1848, but it is marked as "Bank" on the OS Map of 1894. It is quite probably by Peddie and Kinnear, or the later Kinnear and Peddie, who had a strong hold on bank design during these years.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). OS Map 1895,
Wigtownshire, Sheet XXX11 (surveyed 1894).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.