PORT WILLIAM, CHURCH STREET, (FORMER) PORT WILLIAM CHURCH, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:19572)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 17/12/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3388 4394.
1862; vestry/session-house by Richard Park, 1892. Rectangular-plan church. Vestry/session-house adjoined to S. Rubble. Dressed granite quoins and rybated margins. Projecting granite cills. Tall pointed-arched windows. Y-traceried small-pane clear glazing (windows boarded up, 1993). Red sandstone coped skews. Small grey slates; slightly graded to vestry. Red sandstone ridging.
N (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pointed-arched doorway at centre; 2-leaf panelled door and Y-traceried fanlight. Windows in outer bays. Pointed-arched openings, partly boarded and louvred at apex, in gablehead. Iron birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead, with small bell; pointed-arched openings and pyramidal roof.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3-bay. Regular fenestration.
S ELEVATION: gabled vestry adjoined to virtually full-width of elevation; door to left and window to right to W; window at centre to E; 2 small lean-to additions to left and centre to S; granite-dressed gablehead stack, with red sandstone cope, to S.
INTERIOR: not seen (1993).
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls. 2-leaf cast-iron fleur-de-lis gate to N.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Formerly listed as "Church of Scotland, Church Street". The Church was built as a Free Church. Following the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, it became known as Port William High United Free Church, before uniting with Port William Main Street United Free Church (now the Maxwell Hall) in 1903 to become Port William United Free Church. Following the union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church in 1929, it became Church of Scotland under the name of Port William Church. Port William was united with Mochrum in 1951. The unusual iron bellcote is an interesting survival. Consent given for conversion to 3 dwellings (91/TP/1H31) not implemented October 1994.
Records in possession of Minister: Port William Free Church Deacons'
Court Minutes, 1889 - 1902; Port William United Free Church Minute Book, 1903-1912. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol V (1895) p 37. W Ewing ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND Vol II (1914) p 51. J A Lamb THE FASTI OF THE UNITED FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND 1900 - 1929 (1956) p 119. J A Lamb (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE
Vol IX (1961) p 165. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 433.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.