Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

OLD PLACE OF MOCHRUM, CARTSHED (Ref:19568)

This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the Mochrum Parish. It is a category B building and was listed on 11/11/1994.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NX 3083 5394.

Description

Post 1907. Cartshed. L-plan; single storey. Rubble, verging on cyclopean pattern. Flat-arched cart openings, with concrete lintels. Crowstepped gables: crowsteps built of small stones covered over with thin stone coping. Small grey slates.N ELEVATION: gabled jamb advanced to right, forming L-plan; opening to gable; two openings to E return. Gabled bay, with opening, slightly advanced to N in re-entrant angle. 3 openings to left.S ELEVATION: blank; gable advanced to left.E ELEVATION: gabled and blank.

Notes

The cartshed is not marked on the OS Map of 1907. The cartshed was probably designed by Robert Weir Schultz as fabric and form follow that of the Old Place of Mochrum and the Electricity House nearby, attributed to him. Stewart and Paterson's work at House of Elrig echoes details here. See separate listings for Old Place of Mochrum: Bridge; Electricity House and Sawmill; Old Place of Mochrum, with Walled Garden and Sundial.

References

OS Map 1908, Wigtownshire, Sheet XX14 (surveyed 1907).

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).