MONREITH, MYRTON CHAPEL (Ref:19565)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 17/12/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3609 4336.
Pre 1848. Small former chapel, adjoined to former stable block. Chapel in slightly lower gabled jamb, adjoined at centre to W elevation of rectangular-plan stable block. Rubble. Red sandstone ashlar dressings; droved chamfered margins; crowsteps and skewputts.
Slightly graded grey slates. Red sandstone ridge. Roof extended below eaves line of stable block.
W ELEVATION: pointed-arched window, blinded with rubble. Ashlar cross advanced in gablehead. Birdcage bellcote at apex (no bell).
N RETURN: pointed-arched window; partly blinded with rubble, glazed at apex with Y-traceried glazing.
S RETURN: blank.
INTERIOR: remains of stable stall. Modern plasterboard ceiling.
Symson, writing in 1684, states that Myrton "hath an old Chapel" (quoted in SCRAPBOOK). On the OS Maps of 1906 and 1982, "Myretoun Chapel (in Ruins)" refers to an apparently roofless, small, freestanding building to the north east of the stable block. An
article in the SCRAPBOOK relates that there is "preserved behind the stables a small rectangular and roofless building of indeterminate date which tradition says was the castle chapel, now ultilized (if it ever was a chapel) as a convenient screen for a water tank"; several other articles refer to the chapel as a roofless ruin in the stable yard. Some rubble walls still remain to the north east of the stable yard, which are possibly the remains of the early chapel referred to above. According to the written evidence therefore, the gabled chapel now
evident as such jamb is not the original chapel; by the evidence of the fabric, it appears that the former has been added onto the stable block, probably before 1848, as the jamb is marked on the OS Map of 1848. See separate listings for Monreith; Monreith House; Ice House; Myrton Cottage (Monreith Estate Office); Myrton Castle; West Gateway.
OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). P H M'Kerlie
HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 234, 242, Vol II (1877) p 267. OS Map 1909, Wigtownshire, Sheet XXXSE (surveyed 1906). SCRAPBOOK (1936), relating to Mochrum parish, in possession of Minister. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 432. OS Map 1983, Sheet NX34SE (surveyed 1982). AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND (1987) Vol 2, p97.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.