MONREITH, MYRTON CASTLE (Ref:19564)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 20/07/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 360 433.
Early 16th century tower house; later to late 17th century L-plan range. Ruins of square-plan tower house, situated on knoll. Rubble. Converted to dovecot circa 1870, by addition of cross-wall to N, with central doorway; brick and slate nesting boxes to N and E walls. Several aumbries at ground floor. Blocked doorway, with roll-moulded
jambs, to E. Window, with chamfered jambs, to W at 1st floor. Corbelled parapet. Several corbelled angle bartizans. Fragmentary remains of L-plan range to N.
Scheduled Monument. Myrton Castle has been retained on the list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest on account of its remaining architectural features. Myrton Castle was built by the M'Cullochs; the property passed into the possession of the Maxwells at the end of the 17th century. Myrton Castle was occupied until the end of the 18th century, when it was partly demolished to provide material for the building of Monreith House (see separate listing). See separate listings for Monreith: Monreith House; Ice House; Myrton Cottage (Monreith Estate Office); Myrton Chapel; West Gateway.
P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 235-253, Vol II (1877) pp 264-267. D MacGibbon and T Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND Vol V (1892) pp 333-337. H Maxwell SCOTTISH GARDENS (1908) pp 44-45. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) pp 75-76. C H Dick HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS IN GALLOWAY AND CARRICK (1916) pp 244, 246, 257. SCRAPBOOK (1936) relating to Mochrum Parish, in possession of Minister. AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND (1987) Vol 2, p 97. NMRS: Plan WGD/30/1 (1911).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.