MOCHRUM, KIRK OF MOCHRUM, WITH GRAVEYARD, GRAVEYARD WALLS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:19540)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 20/07/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3473 4639.
1794; alterations and additions 1876-78. T-plan church; comprised of rectangular-plan church of 1794, with jamb adjoined to N, 1876-78 vestry adjoined to W, probably 1876-78. Washed rubble. Squared granite and some sandstone quoins and rybated margins. Red sandstone cornice and blocking course to porches. Mainly round-arched windows, some square-headed windows. Small-pane glazing in sash and case windows; clear glazing, except coloured textured glazing in 2 windows at centre to S elevation. Boarded doors. Granite coped skews. Small granite ball finials to apices of gableheads to N and E. Slightly graded grey slates, variegated with purple slate repairs. Several small rooflights.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: round-arched window to outer left and right. Gabled jamb advanced at centre. Square porch at centre to N, with round-arched window above, and tall round-arched windows flanking to left and right; porch with door to E, and window to N. Forestair to full-height square porch to E return; porch is rubble at ground floor, washed brick at 1st floor; porch with door to N, and window to E at gallery level; plain iron handrail and red sandstone steps to forestair. Small window to right to W return. Wide flight of red
sandstone steps, with plain iron handrails, up to entrance of N porch and to forestair.
E ELEVATION: detached forestair of full-height square porch at centre; forestair with granite steps, granite coped solid stone balustrade to E and plain iron handrail to W; porch with door to E, small diamond-paned window to S at gallery level, and door to N and small window to S at ground floor. Windows to left and right at gallery level, each with blocked area below.
S ELEVATION: 4 regularly spaced round-arched windows. Massive square crenellated buttress at centre; rubble with red sandstone gabletted merlons and coping; small rendered and slate-roofed lean-to boiler house adjoined to E return, with tall rendered stack in re-entrant angle; door to S, with low concrete-coped rubble wall concealing steps down to door.
W ELEVATION: piend-roofed vestry adjoined at centre and right; fanlit door to left to N; window at centre to W. Forestair to square porch to right, with porch partly incorporated in vestry at ground floor; quarter-turn forestair with granite steps and granite coped solid stone
balustrade to S; rendered porch with fanlit door to S. Window at centre at gallery level. Blocked tall opening to left at gallery level. Decoratively coped granite birdcage bellcote at apex of gablehead; red sandstone base supported on granite corbels; bell; surmounted by ball finial.
INTERIOR: painted plaster walls and timber dadoes. Coombed ceiling to main body of church. Coombed ceiling to N gallery, with basket-arch over to E. panelled galleries to N, E and W, each supported on 2 cast-iron columns; fluted pilaster detailing to panelling; organ in
gallery to W. Pulpit at centre to E, with hexagonal sounding-board; flanking Ionic columns and fluted frieze to rear board; brass war memorial (1914-1919) plaque to front panel of pulpit. Stone font. Timber communion table and lectern, Timer pews. Stone corbels below
(not supporting) E and W galleries. Timber vestibule screens at centre to E and W.
GRAVEYARD: large graveyard, extended in 1866 and 1900. 18th, 19th and 20th century monuments. Fine 18th century gravestones. Some tablestones.
GRAVEYARD WALLS: built 1867. Rubble coped rubble walls. Wall to W mutual with Greenmantle Hotel (former Manse) (see separate listing), with outbuilding of Greenmantle Hotel incorporated in wall.
GATEPIERS: pair of dressed granite square gatepiers, with stepped capping and ball finials, to SE; cast-iron 2-leaf gate. Similarly detailed 2-leaf gate to NE. Modern gates to gateway to N. 2 cast-iron lamp standards flanking N gateway within graveyard.
Records in possession of Minister: Mochrum Kirk Session Minutes, 1871 -
1899; SCRAPBOOK (1936), relating to Mochrum parish. STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol XVII (1796) p572. P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) p234. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE
GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol V (1895) p37. H Scott (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE
SCOTICANAE Vol II (1917) pp369-371. G Hay THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957) pp92, 187, 277. J A Lamb (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE Vol IX (1961) pp 164-165. THIRD
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p433. MEMORIALS OF MOCHRUM PARISH OLD KIRKYARD (nd). MEMORIALS OF MOCHRUM PARISH - NEW KIRKYARD (nd).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.