MOCHRUM, GREENMANTLE HOTEL (FORMER MANSE), WITH BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:19539)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 20/07/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 3472 4632.
Anthony Park, 1781; major additions and alterations, 1822; further addition, 1900-01. Former manse. 2-storey, 3-bay house, 1781; 2-storey, 3-bay house added to S, 1822, forming L-plan; 2-storey, 2-bay wing, 1900-01, in re-entrant angle to E. Painted rubble; painted render to E elevation and 1900-01 wing. Painted margins and quoin strips to 1822 block.S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 1822. Roman Doric porch at centre; detached columns, triglyph frieze, cornice, and blocking course with central tablet; flush-panelled door and plate glass fanlight; red sandstone steps and platt to porch. Regularly disposed fenestration; taller windows at ground floor.W ELEVATION: 3-bay block of 1781 to left; gable of 1822 block slightly advanced to right. Regularly disposed fenestration to block to left; windows at ground floor later enlargements; later small window at ground floor between centre and right bays. Small modern timber porch adjoined to left. Window to left at ground floor to gable to right.E ELEVATION: gable of 1822 block to left, with window to left at ground floor. 1900-01 wing to right; French window and bay to left and bipartite window and bay to right at ground floors; 2 windows at 1st floors.N ELEVATION: gable of 1781 block to right; painted rubble lean-to adjoined to right to N; window at 1st floor to E return. 1900-01 wing recessed to left, with modern flat-roofed timber addition filling re-entrant angle at ground floor. Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; fixed plate glass glazing at ground floor to S elevation. Coped skews. Painted rubble stacks, with copes; gablehead to E and W, with quoin strips, to 1822 block; gablehead to N and ridge to S to 1781 block. Grey slates, graded to E and W pitches of 1781 block. Painted octagonal cans. Red sandstone ridges. Piend roof to N to 1900-01 wing.INTERIOR: some good late 18th century panelled doors, architraves and cornicing to 1781 house.BOUNDARY WALLS: built 1867. Rubble walls with angled rubble coping; to Main Street to W; wall to N mutual with Graveyard (see separate listing). Various gabled and piend-roofed stone outbuildings; 2 to S; one to N incorporated with Graveyard wall.
The Architect of the manse is given as Anthony Park in notes taken from the scroll minutes, as recorded in the SCRAPBOOK. According to the same source, the manse was nearly complete in March 1781, when work was inspected, and in August 1781 "the Presbytery did thereby do declare the Manse of Mochrum... sufficiently executed". The 1781 building replaced an earlier manse (apparently built 1733), which was presumably situated on the same site, as in 1796, the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT refers to "the manse and offices... being all of late substantially rebuilt, and covered with slate". In 1839, the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT states that "a large addition was built to the manse in 1822; and it is at present in excellent repair". The 1900-01 wing was apparently built of bricks from the local kiln at Monreith village.
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol XVII (1796) p 572. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol IV (1845) Wigtown, p 65. SCRAPBOOK (1936), relating to Mochrum parish, in possession of Minister. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965)
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.